Mega tree using a real tree

flash11

New elf
I have a large palm tree in my front yard that would provide a perfect 'pole' for a mega tree. Just wondering if anyone has used a real tree as a base for their mega tree? Just looking at options for the tree topper without damaging the tree itself.

how wide are your palm trunks? Mine are probably 3m or more in circumference at the top.

First couple of years - I did a ratchet strap around the trunk - and then zip-tied my mega tree strips to that.

Last year I got some aluminium garden edging and bolted hooks onto it. And then screwed that into the trunk to give a more straight/even top. Was much quicker and straighter.

you can see in the video skymaster posted - that my trees are almost curved matrixes rather than splayed out trees. I have them modelled in xLights as trees where the base is ever so slightly wider than the top. That’s mainly because it widens out to get over some large rocks at the bottom.

13A1E094-9DE9-40A7-BD65-BCF6CA1836CF.jpeg
You can see the aluminium bar at the top there. My strips are hanging freely with no tension applied. To make sure they stay aligned - I added horizontal strips (photo seems to be on its side):

B2FC0725-376E-43B8-AB59-30F7458CC7B1.jpeg

Not a 'proper' mini tree but I just drilled in 18 hooks about 3m up my palm and used them to run lengths of Bunnings fairy lights.

The bottom was similar smaller hooks screwed into a length of conduit I'd bent into shape and staked into the ground. I am thinking of upgrading the same idea but using the mega tree strip and pixels/seeds to do a RGB version..

The hooks appear to not bother the palm but not sure what a topper would need to stay up, may be more strength required?

how wide are your palm trunks? Mine are probably 3m or more in circumference at the top.

First couple of years - I did a ratchet strap around the trunk - and then zip-tied my mega tree strips to that.

Last year I got some aluminium garden edging and bolted hooks onto it. And then screwed that into the trunk to give a more straight/even top. Was much quicker and straighter.
Legend....thanks for sharing. Mine are wider at the bottom and skinny at the top. But your method should work a treat. Thanks again!

Not a 'proper' mini tree but I just drilled in 18 hooks about 3m up my palm and used them to run lengths of Bunnings fairy lights.

The bottom was similar smaller hooks screwed into a length of conduit I'd bent into shape and staked into the ground. I am thinking of upgrading the same idea but using the mega tree strip and pixels/seeds to do a RGB version..

The hooks appear to not bother the palm but not sure what a topper would need to stay up, may be more strength required?
Cheers. Thanks for sharing.

And for an 2022 photo (you can see the ratchet strap in this one): the plan was to zip tie the floods to the ratchet as well, but ended up screwing them (and since I’d done screwing - made the switch to the aluminium much easier in my mind the next year)
5FCFFB13-3D50-4FA6-964C-C779D793AFB1.jpeg

We have a pine tree in our front yard and use it as a mega tree. Our mega tree strips are 150 inches long, so the mega tree is about 14 ft tall and I add a 23 inch star on top of that. I use 2 straps - one for the star, the other for the tree. The star is attached to pvc piping to be able to strap it to the tree. The strap for the mega tree has a hook for each string. Using a ladder to do the setup will work for a few more years, but I'll have to think of something when age catches up to me and I can't climb the ladder anymore. Once the it's setup I will try to take some pics.

Back