Mega tree winch

Bryan H

Bryan
I am looking at adding a winch to my mega tree due to its height and would like some ideas on how to fit it etc. I have a idea in my head, but would like to see some photo of any winch setup for the trees..

Tonyf1949

New elf
I am looking at adding a winch to my mega tree due to its height and would like some ideas on how to fit it etc. I have a idea in my head, but would like to see some photo of any winch setup for the trees..
I mounted my 6mt megatree in my garage roof and used a hinge at bottom with a boat winch half way to raise and lower the main 40x40mm pole and then remove it completely. Works a treat.

Bryan H

Bryan
your tree is about the same height I have, except I am using 35mm round metal pole. I have made the top of the tree so it slides up and down. I do like the hinge at the bottom to raise and lower it. the issue is that will have support guide wires attached to the topper as it goes up and will stablise the pole etc.
Can you post a photo of your set up please.

Tonyf1949

New elf
your tree is about the same height I have, except I am using 35mm round metal pole. I have made the top of the tree so it slides up and down. I do like the hinge at the bottom to raise and lower it. the issue is that will have support guide wires attached to the topper as it goes up and will stablise the pole etc.

damona

Full time elf
You Need a Brake Winch. Normal Winches are design for pulling not lifting
e.g. https://www.google.com/search?q=jarrett+brake+winch
Note Brake winch do not wind backwards like you might think. Winding backwards release the brake, and the weight of the object lowers it slowly. Therefore Brake Winches have a minimum weight e.g. 15 to 20kg, otherwise the item will not fall when handle is wound backwards. So check the min weight for the Winch before buying one.

Update: Also they may have to be fitted a certain way, i.s. gravity may engage the break.

Last edited:

Baf05

Full time elf
http://barsix.net/?page_id=8
This looks interesting.

I have also seen one (I was sure it was David Peaces') at used two rollers either side of the topper tube.

I will be watching this thread with interest as I plan on doing the same, Getting my tree up is two person job and very much a pain in the HoHoHo!

bpratt

Senior elf
You may find aluminium scaffolding tubing might be a better option, as that's what I'm going to be using for my mega tree.

I use them for put up aerials in my other hobby of Amateur Radio, as there are significant weight savings over a standard galvanised pole.

I get my aluminium poles from https://actionaluminium.com.au/ and the poles that I get are the ROT4844 (48mm x 4.4mm walls) and ROT383 (38mm x 3mm walls), and the smaller tube slides inside of the other one, which with a standard length of 6m or so, easily will give you up to 10m tall with 2m overlap in the tubing.

Last time I bought one of each, it cost me around $140.

Braking winch is the go over a standard 'boat winch', noting you need some weight to lower down.

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
I personally wouldn't use a aluminium pole for a MegaTree, most use steel NB pipe or SHS (Box steel). but that's just me.
Local steel shop usually has say 40NB pipe for about $60 per 6.3 metre length, and they generally cut to what length you want and some will also deliver for a fee

Last edited:

darrenr

Apprentice elf
LDL, good advice, I'll definitely consider steel.
As for a topper - any advice? how to connect to the pole...

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
All depends on you tree design and such on how you may want to attach topper to the pole, personally I like the ability to raise and lower the topper separate to the pole, as you can simply lower it if you get some big winds etc.
But it is all personal preference and all depends a bit on what materials etc you have or can easily access.

I built this one quickly last year and it performed really well, but like anything could be improved and this was a smaller Mega Tree and as you are probably aware the bigger the Mega Tree gets the stronger it needs to be etc.

bpratt

Senior elf
I just contacted Action Alu and got the following response about if they would sell less than 6m lengths....
On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 at 11:46, <caringbah@actionaluminium.com.au> wrote:

I've used exactly what you've got.

I used the 6m 4844 and the 383. The top 383 got folded over in the wind, but I did NOT run guy ropes to it, but it was in very high speed winds that folded it over.

I replaced the 383 section with another one, but this time guy roped it and no problems whatsoever .... steel is just way too heavy to work around in the longer lengths that I used.