Mega tree with portable hole

JulianLights

Apprentice elf
Hi all
I have started to put my mind towards how I am going to construct my mega tree. Given I am not yet certain of the placement this year and we may be redoing the front yard next year I am thinking I will go with the portable hole 2.0 as the base of the tree with the option of cementing a pole in ground next year.
A few facts about the tree. It will be a 180 tree roughly 5.5m tall, including a star, with a 3m base. At this stage the tree will have 20 strings of 100 pixels using the Boscoyo high density strips. I will be using a winch to raise and lower it and will be using a 50mm x 4mm thick pole as the centre pole. I have some shrubs underneath the tree so the bottom ring will be raised by about 30cm so I will not be anchoring the ring to the ground like I have seen with other trees.
The question I have is around anchoring the base of the tree. I have done a DBYD and seen I have a number of services running in the vicinity of my front yard, I just don’t know the exact location. Without having to get a professional locator in or hiring equipment to locate them (and not knowing how to use them) I am trying to work out what my options are for anchoring the tree. I don’t want to drive my anchors in so deep that I risk hitting something! In addition to anchoring the base I plan on using guy-wires to help support the tree, possibly at two locations, near to the top and middle of tree but not sure how this will work with the winch.
Looking at the Instructions for the portable hole it uses 3ft rebar to secure the base but that is without guy wires. That is too deep for me so was thinking something like 30-40cm anchors, possibly these from Bunnings https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-anchor-accessory-hold-down-auger_p0056594. However having rocky clay in my front yard using these could be a nightmare in itself!
Wondering what other people experiences are with the portable hole and if anyone has encountered similar issues with using relatively shallow anchor points?
Apologies for a long and possibly rambling post!

Dreamin

Full time elf
I'm doing a similar thing rebuilding my tree but it's only 3m (50 pixels 16 strips). it's on top of pavers and I don't want to concrete due to services (power and phone) under the area so I'm in the same boat really.

There are a few on here using the portable hole I think.

I've got a few anchors already when I test it on my lawn (nearly killed me getting up so converting to a winch system with pulley or asap pole style) and I don't like the one you showed with the auger, it seems to get stuck on rocks. This design seems to go in quicker, deeper and stays firm so I used them, and they didn't pull out. They were smaller but the same design. https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-fold-down-spiral-ground-anchor_p0056593

I got one of these to try https://www.bunnings.com.au/marquee-25kg-concrete-umbrella-base_p3190043 but it's not perfect, but I'm thinking maybe I can put a cement ring over the top to boost the weight. Not sure how strong that pole it though!?!? I don't weld, or know someone that does or I would make a custom one. I don't really need another hobby! :p I was going to anchor that to the driveway and pavers behind, then support the top from the fence and the house on either side. I'm a little worried it's not going to stay up if it's windy or take the fence with it! :eek:

I'm still looking at poles, my current tree uses galvanised pipe like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-15-x-550mm-galvanised-pipe_p4700255 which means a pully is out due to the connectors. :( Might have to flick it over to this stuff https://www.bunnings.com.au/arc-fences-2-4m-25nb-galvanised-steel-pipe_p1100591

I like the ASAP system, but it's all US stuff and some of it isn't available here, and it is overkill of 3m tree like I'm going to end up with. Ummmm.

JulianLights

Apprentice elf
I was looking at the ASAP system too but like you said it seemed to be all US based so I decided to go with the winch instead.
That was my concern with the auger anchor as well, very rocky at my place so I might avoid that type of anchor and look at the one you linked.
Given the height of mine and how windy it gets at my place I’ve decided to go with a galvanised steel centre pole. I’m not a welder either (in fact not very handy with anything. I should have chosen another hobby lol ) so I’m looking at what other options I can use to build my tree!
This is my first mega tree and like you I’m worried about the whole thing blowing over!

Dreamin

Full time elf
I just scored a free metal umbrella stand, so I'm going to use that with in a box with concrete for the base. Should be ok I think. I think a gal pole might be the best way too, but not sure how to fix the bottom or the topper on. I want to either winch or do a ASAP. The ASAP has more materials but a smoother system for height, and might avoid swinging off a ladder to put the strips up.