Melbourne/Vic Melbourne Mini 2012: June 2-3

davidt

New elf
Tuppet,

I'm hoping to attend. My wife's currently working that weekend, so we are trying to organise some other staffing arrangements. I should be able to confirm in the next week.

Cheers,

davidt

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
As a suggestion I would be interested in looking at the use of boards like AVD has for small pixel count elements

tuppet

Apprentice elf
Thanks for the suggestion Beacy, I'll add it to the list and see if we can find someone to talk about them and/or bring one to play with.

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
We have lots of space in our warehouse so if you want to show off your stuff please bring it along.. let us know if you need Ho with set up or any special requirements. Our warehouse is about 40 ft.high so go for it!

tuppet

Apprentice elf
Great to see we have some more people attending, but we still haven't met the cutoff for streaming so if you're considering staying at home and watching instead then you should reconsider.

--PROPOSED SCHEDULE--
While everyone is encouraged to attend both days, the first day is targeted for less experienced Christmas Light fanatics in order to make the hobby more accessible. Requests and modifications are welcome, as are VOLUNTEERS!

Saturday (Beginners -> intermediate)
- Introduction to Christmas Lights
- Explore a show (or two)
- Planing a show - starting from nothing,
- Introduction to electronics
- Hooking things up - a sample of boards and where they fit in the grand scheme of christmas lights.
Lunch and chat.
- waterproofing
- Introduction to LOR
- Introduction to DMX
- Discussion on Suppliers (local)

Sunday (Intermediate -> advanced)
- Introduction to E1.31 and Pixels
- Vendor Presentation: stellascapes
- sequencing: LSP
- sequencing: Vixen
- Show and Tell
Lunch and chat
- Show and Tell
- Discussion about Chinese suppliers.
continued discussion in the warehouse.

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
OK so we need a few people who are coming to the Melb Mini to prepare a couple of topics
- LOR software programming
- Anybody who has experience with LightFactory
- Somebody (like Beacy) to give an overview of their show - what they had last year and how it all went together

We could do with people brining long something from their show your ideas are very welcome.

8)

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Just reading the details on the Wiki page for this event, it mentions a $20 entry fee from last year with "a better estimate for this year will follow."
Do we know what this price will be now, and does this cover both days or each day?
Personally, I'm more interested in Day 1 for the basics, putting some faces to names and sharing the greater knowledge from everyone :)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I will be bringing down a few display elements for the Saturday at least. I'll probably be a couple of spinners, some pixel candy canes driven by David_AVDs dmx-pixel board, maybe a rgb mini tree, my AAHMEGA60 dmx board, lappy running LOR advanced to drive the dmx stuff, a video camera (and charger this time) and maybe a few other bits and pieces. If required I can do a bit of a spiel on sequencing with LOR and dmx.

Alan

ewanh

what goes here?
AAH said:
I will be bringing down a few display elements for the Saturday at least. I'll probably be a couple of spinners, some pixel candy canes driven by David_AVDs dmx-pixel board, maybe a rgb mini tree, my AAHMEGA60 dmx board, lappy running LOR advanced to drive the dmx stuff, a video camera (and charger this time) and maybe a few other bits and pieces. If required I can do a bit of a spiel on sequencing with LOR and dmx.

Alan

Where the LIKE button on this forum? I can't seem to find it......

tuppet

Apprentice elf
Sorry it was unclear, I've fixed it. The cost will remain fixed at $20 each, which covers both days for ease of budgeting.

tuppet

Apprentice elf
Was just thinking about what I need. Would the secion on hooking things up include connecting & addressing multiple boards within a single universe?

It can. Let us know what boards you are particularly interested in and we will try to make sure we have some expertise on hand. If you have some particular boards you are interested bring them along or let us know and we will try to track one down.