Melbourne/Vic Melbourne Mini 2012: June 2-3

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
tuppet said:
Was just thinking about what I need. Would the secion on hooking things up include connecting & addressing multiple boards within a single universe?

It can. Let us know what boards you are particularly interested in and we will try to make sure we have some expertise on hand. If you have some particular boards you are interested bring them along or let us know and we will try to track one down.
At this stage I have AVD DC48, Rays 27ch and 3 ch DMX controller so I would love to see these (I can bring mine along if need be) but would also like to see what other options there are also.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Oh you can confirm my attendance now.

I'll be bringing down a few items, but not many. A few controllers in boxes, some of my version of the Fasteddy candy canes, one of my toadstools, maybe my pixicle demo piece, but thats all. The big plus is this time I'm staying about 5 mins away rather than over an hour, meaning I can sleep in a bit lol

tuppet

Apprentice elf
thanks Lithgow and Piper for offering to bring things.

We are in need of volunteers to present on a whole range of topics. You don't have to be the most experienced person in the world, or even in the room, just being willing to share what you know is great. If you see a session on the list you think you could help with or you have any suggestions as to what you would like to see/talk about please go ahead and post a reply. We want to hear from you so that we can make the mini meet your (high) expectations! You don't have to make a formal presentation, leading the group in discussion is just as valuable. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM.

Saturday (Beginners -> intermediate)
- Introduction to Christmas Lights
- Explore a show
- Planing a show - starting from nothing, getting blinky.
- Introduction to electronics
- Hooking things up - a sample of boards and where they fit in the grand scheme of christmas lights. (byo boards for discussion)
Lunch and chat.
- waterproofing
- Introduction to LOR
- Introduction to DMX
- Discussion on Suppliers (local)

Sunday (Intermediate -> advanced)
- Introduction to E1.31 and Pixels
]- Vendor Presentation: stellascapes - Bruce Rowley
- sequencing: LSP
- sequencing: Vixen
- Show and Tell
Lunch and chat
- Show and Tell[
- Discussion about Chinese suppliers.
continued discussion in the warehouse.

tuppet

Apprentice elf
it's really getting close now!

It seems like software is our weak point - I still need some presenters for LSP, Vixen and even LightFactory if we have anyone who feels up to it. Proficiency is sufficient, we will all be there to offer suggestions if necessary. Programming is incredibly important to get your show looking good!

I'd also like someone to lead a conversation about some local suppliers (as in not dealing with China), and someone else who would like to discuss their experiences with Chinese suppliers.

If you think you could manage any of these topics please reply or send me a PM (I'm happy to discuss any concerns you have).

I'd also like to remind everyone who is attending that power and space is available in the warehouse, I'd just like to have a rough idea of what you are bringing so I can set up some tables before everyone arrives. If you have anything you'd like to set up earlier I'm happy to help arrange that too.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The more the merrier. 1 day or 2 is about all the info that Tuppet will need to know.

abundy

Full time elf
Hi all, very newbie to all this and have many questions. Would like to attend the saturday session if there is space, as it looks like the subjects to be discussed will fill in a lot of blanks.

tuppet

Apprentice elf
abundy, muzzag: no problems I'll make sure you are on my list. Feel free to come to either or both days - even if things get a bit beyond the beginner stuff on the second day it will be fun and there will be lots of show and tell to enjoy.

daunce: yep, money at the door.

ruprect: looks like you will get me presenting on LSP - I was trying to find someone else so it's not the same presentation as last year, but we will have at least some discussion about programming.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Those who are worried that day 2 will be above their heads, dont - it is often a bit technical and often gets complex, but there will be people to help it fit into place for you, even if it's just in 1 on 1 chats between sessions.

tuppet

Apprentice elf
Ok, well it's getting close!

I'm going shopping on Friday for the lunches, so I would appreciate if any dietary requests could come through via PM before then.

If you need any more information I may not be in the forum, but I can be contacted through PM or Mobile 0400 147 419.