Event details

Event date
Saturday, Jul 1, 2023 Sunday, Jul 2, 2023
Registration deadline
Friday, Jun 30, 2023
Username Guest count Note
thewanderingpine thewanderingpine 1
abundy abundy 1 Spoiler content hidden.
J Jasonhawkins 2 Spoiler content hidden.
S ShaneM 1
V visa 2
Jase Jase 2
Jaali Jaali 1
AAH AAH 1
C christophe 1 Spoiler content hidden.
C Croydon Lights 1
cdjazman cdjazman 2 Spoiler content hidden.
D DarkwinX 2 Spoiler content hidden.
cleefy cleefy 1 Spoiler content hidden.
D Devo549 1
djgra79 djgra79 1 Spoiler content hidden.
SarahD SarahD 1 Spoiler content hidden.
vk3heg vk3heg 1 Spoiler content hidden.
BluePat BluePat 1 Spoiler content hidden.
M mccar 1
DaChaser DaChaser 2 Spoiler content hidden.
R reapa 1
Snicko Snicko 1 Spoiler content hidden.
D Dcalder 1
M Mucktub333 1
Pyropeter Pyropeter 1 Spoiler content hidden.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Hey @Pyropeter - absolutely a total newby is welcome. There is probably no better way to start. Like Graham said - we have specific times for beginners to get some small-group or 1on1 coaching to help you get started.

and honestly - this community - both virtually and in person at the mini - is the type that just wants to see others succeed. We love having new people get into this and would love to see you there

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi Guys, hoping it would be ok for a TOTAL newby to come along? I mean still working out what I need to get started? Cheers Pete
I cannot recommend attending a mini highly enough as a newbie
I was in the same position last year and it is absolutely fantastic to connect with others in the hobby - everyone is amazingly friendly and open with sharing their knowledge and ideas to help you get a show off the ground.
You will absolutely learn something!

muzzag50

New elf
Hi,

Unfortunately I missed the registration cutoff.

Will any of the presentations be streamed?

Murray

Reactions: AAH

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Hey @muzzag50 - if you (or other last minute folks) are still keen to come - you would be welcome. I’ll message you some details.

We are not planning to stream or record the sessions.

Last edited:

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Hey all - looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Gates open 8:30 for a 9:00 start.

Here's a map with areas highlighted (in yellow) to park (enter via the semi-circle on Holloway Rd). Follow the red line to walk to the venue. (Note that the carpark we used last year is now a construction site and unavailable)

map.jpg

Snicko

Apprentice elf
Huge thanks to the organisers, presenters and of course the sponsors!

Was great to meet so many people and run thru alot of topics.

Thanks Mikey for the venue and Rob, Graham & Craig for organising all the logistics and running it!

Would be great to catch up again before the season for an arvo or day and track how everyone is going with their projects!

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Regardless if you drove 4 min or 4 hours, a massive thank you to everyone who made it to this year's mini.

We hope everyone who attended has come away with some gold nuggets of info that they will use for thier displays this year. Whether you have just joined the blinky community or have years of experience, we try to cater to have something for everyone.

I took a step back from taking the lead on organising this year and I'm really proud of how the group stepped up to make the event happen. Shoutout to @thewanderingpine (Rob) for his MC & organising skills, @cdjazman (Craig) for covering catering needs, @Jaali (Mark) for rounding up all of our sponsored prizes (and thanks also to all our sponsors) & a massive thanks to @mikey (Michael) for the venue.

If you have any feedback on how the weekend was run, what you liked or what you thought was missing, please let us know, we'd love you're feedback.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to get chatGPT to help me replace my sequences with State effects... :D

thewanderingpine

Full time elf

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Another brilliant mini.
I was super impressed with the koala and her dads presentation on their show. Absolutely brilliant behinds the scenes of all that they went through to do their talking faces interaction.
And then the AI took centre stage with a simple request for drum playing kangaroo to give us a script to introduce a Christmas lights show. The first part of that is below. Absolute cracker.

***can you update that script for Kangy for a house in Australia (where it is Summer at Christmas time). Make it slightly shorter. ***

(As the scene fades in, we see an animated Kangaroo, Kangy, in front of a festively decorated home adorned with twinkling LED lights. Kangy wears a Santa hat and sunglasses, holding drumsticks.)

Kangaroo (beaming with enthusiasm): "G’day mates! I’m Kangy, your hopping, drum-beating host for this evening's sparkling spectacle!"

Jaali

New elf
Hi all.

I also wanted to echo my thanks to everyone who attended, with a special mention to those who went the extra mile to organise and present at the event. It's only my second year, but I'm already looking forward to the next one!

Also a huge shout out to the sponsors!

Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 08.59.17.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 08.59.24.png
We were all incredibly lucky to be walking away with some amazing prizes that are sure to make our displays even better!

For those of you who won a prize in the form of a voucher, can you please PM me your email address and the name of the voucher you won? I need to update the vendors.

Mikey
Rob
Nathan
Jason Huxley
Jason H
Pat
Shane
Duncan
DJ
Nick
Steve
Murray
Josh
Steve
Sarah
...anyone else I may have missed?

Snicko

Apprentice elf
Hi all.

I also wanted to echo my thanks to everyone who attended, with a special mention to those who went the extra mile to organise and present at the event. It's only my second year, but I'm already looking forward to the next one!

Also a huge shout out to the sponsors!

View attachment 23122
View attachment 23123
We were all incredibly lucky to be walking away with some amazing prizes that are sure to make our displays even better!

For those of you who won a prize in the form of a voucher, can you please PM me your email address and the name of the voucher you won? I need to update the vendors.

Mikey
Rob
Nathan
Jason Huxley
Jason H
Pat
Shane
Duncan
DJ
Nick
Steve
Murray