Melbourne/Vic Melbourne Mini interest thread 2021

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
So the other states all have one of these and I was feeling left out? Is there interest in a Melbourne Mini this year?

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I'd love to catch up with some of our blinky mates and say hi to some newbies to the hobby, but I am not in a position to assist with running this year, so yes we will need some volunteers to try and organise one.
Failing this, perhaps someone is able to host a smaller build day at their house/work one weekend?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
If it was in Bendigo I could organise and do the running. If it's in Melbourne there's a pretty fair chance that I'd be an attendee. If someone in Melbourne has a venue but needs a hand with organising and running I can help out.

mikey

New elf
I would be interested in something in Melbourne. Has one been run in the past?

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Using the search -- looks like one happened in 2016/17/18/19. Sounds like finding a venue to host it is the primary challenge.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I would be interested in something in Melbourne. Has one been run in the past?
There has been a bunch. I would guesstimate that there's been 1 most years for about the last 10 years. Finding a suitable venue has been a battle for some of this time but assuming a suitable venue is found there will generally be 20-30 attendees from Melbourne, Victoria and often a few from interstate.

mikey

New elf
i can host it in Sandringham, have access to a small theatre space, able to accomodate up to 190 people with Covid rules. Available on weekends. Has full AV facilities, ie projector, mics etc.

if Anybody would like to run a topic or who has run a mini before maybe please PM me and we can get the ball rolling on this one.

what month would people like to run this?

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Its usually around late April to early June.
Some dates to possibly avoid however:
Sat Sun April 17th-18th - TAS Mini
Sun April 25th - ANZAC Day
Sun May 9th - Mother's Day
Sat Sun May 22nd-23rd - NSW Mini
Sat Sun May 29th-30th - QLD Mini

There are often a couple of interstate visitors who like to come down and say gday, so we try our best to avoid having minis by state on the same dates for this reason, but its not essential at the end of the day.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Official Melb Mini thread now located here: