Merry Christmas from Arizona

Slash1983

New elf
Hey all, i would like to start off by saying i hope you all are having a wonderful and Merry Christmas this year, and that i hope that all your displays bring Joy and Happiness not only to you but to your audience as well.

I am new to the RGB pixel lighting world, but i am picking up on it quickly and i am planning on putting together a display for next year. I have been using XLights for not only sequences but for designing a layout of where i would like lights and props to go.

I am a bit "stumped" however, i have a massive tree that stands about 20-30 ft. in the front yard that blocks a good portion of the house (from the front, the side you can see just fine). I am planning on having it trimmed to a somewhat smaller size to combat the viewing problems. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas as to what to do to incorporate in the display. I have been toying with the ideas of either a mega tree set up vertically wrapping around the tree (forming somewhat of a sphere) or building a 360 matrix to wrap around it horizontally. Ive only been playing with these two ideas but i would love to hear any suggestions as to what to do.

Than you and again have a Merry Christmas.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 6.54.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 6.54.56 AM.png
    308.4 KB · Views: 7

gregor

New elf
I think you could incorporate just as you say and xLights is really good to do that. Perhaps use google streets view and other shots of your house to give you a couple of different choices in xlights to simulate where most people would view from. This was my first year of lights and apart from all the other things you'll read about, the key breakthrough for me was model groups in xlights. For example, let's say you use spinners or snowflakes (12" size) around the outside. You would create groups 'all spinners' 'all snowflakes' and maybe top row and bottom row or every other prop. When you take a sequence from music you will see an amazing finsihed product. So my thought is that you have an advantage here over a lot of us. Instead of thinking this tree is in the way, it is a fanatsic place holder for props. A lot of snowflakes, mix of 12" and 24" perhaps?,would look amazing! https://boscoyostudio.com/product-category/christmas/snowflakes/

TerryK

Retired Elf
Hi. Welcome to ACL.

Anything around the trunk would be easy enough. If you are asking about something around the branches, the height you indicated will make it somewhat a challenge. If it loses its leaves you could hang props from its branches perhaps. There is an individual fairly close to me that hangs coro snowflakes in his; best guess is 10 to 15 feet up. Strategic placement of floods may be something to consider. Another point to consider is depending upon the winter winds you have in your area, branch movement might be a problem with wiring and keeping props in place. You might browse the ACL Display Videos to see what others have done with trees.

Slash1983

New elf
The snowflakes are an amazing idea I probably would've never thought of that. Thank you so much, I appreciate the suggestions.