Midi Tree re-build

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
Got a bit of good news today, I am self employed and got a call from a customer to come back to work so Christmas won't be cancelled after all.

I am finally going to retire my 5V pixel strip tree this year, it is a 16 string 75 pixel cross between a flat and 180 tree and has worked really well for me for the last 4 or so years. I will be replacing it with a 12V 24 string 50 pixel 180 deg tree using the strips I got of ELD many moons ago, I'll use every second hole so 2" spacing. I have a small front yard so 2-3m high is about it for me, viewed from footpath is only about 3m.

I have the 3d printer cranking out the strip stabisers for bot top and bottom attachments and center stabilisers. I will fabricate a new tree frame and do as I always do, plan on the run because I like surprises.

I'll post a few pictures as I go might be of use to someone.

Dreamin

Full time elf
Great stuff. I'm rebuilding mine too which I got second hand, it's 15x46 but will end up 16x50. Will be good to see what your doing. :) Are you incorporating a winch or pulley system to get it up easily? after putting mine up temp in the yard I'm going that. It was darn difficult and involved a lot of swearing.
I've printed the stabilisers too, they seem to do a great job from the video I saw. Would love piccies. :)

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
Bit of research over the weekend and I have decided on an ASAP pole as I'm looking to make it a little easier as I get older, work smarter not harder is my new motto. The tree is only 3 - 4m high but this will be a much easier assembly at Christmas.

Still got the printer cranking away, I drew up these for the top & bottom connections of the strips and they should give plenty of support, I use mini bungy straps to secure the strips as they give a bit of give in the wind.

So 20 done 28 to go of the flat ones and another 6 of the stabilisers.

Attachments

• Midi Tree 3D prints.JPG
    Midi Tree 3D prints.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 11

Dreamin

Full time elf
Bit of research over the weekend and I have decided on an ASAP pole as I'm looking to make it a little easier as I get older, work smarter not harder is my new motto. The tree is only 3 - 4m high but this will be a much easier assembly at Christmas.

I'm in the same boat mate. I spend a good few hours today looking at sources for materials for the asap style frame but can't seem the get the same stuff they get in the US. :( It's very frustrating. It's a great idea, so simple and easy to put up, just what my back needs!

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
I'm in the same boat mate. I spend a good few hours today looking at sources for materials for the asap style frame but can't seem the get the same stuff they get in the US. :( It's very frustrating. It's a great idea, so simple and easy to put up, just what my back needs!
I had a look for a lite winch and found something for $40 which seems a bargain, I'll get a couple of lengths of galv pipe for the poles and some ground anchors from Bunnings.

Attachments

• 1588590067684.png
    1588590067684.png
    182.7 KB · Views: 2

Dreamin

Full time elf
I had a look for a lite winch and found something for $40 which seems a bargain, I'll get a couple of lengths of galv pipe for the poles and some ground anchors from Bunnings.
I saw a winch like that on eBayfor $35 or something.

My issue was with the poles. Getting stuff that fits in side stuff is a pain and with all the crazy shopping going on, getting a quiet day in Bunnings to roam with poles is kinda hard. I also noticed (I was following this ASAP junior guide that he said do not use galvanized pipe for the main pole, but to use metal electrical conduit instead, but the internal pole was galvanized. Not sure why, I think maybe due to the screw thread on the end? so you can attached the base? He didn't explain that statement any further.

Let me know what you buy anyway :) My Mega tree is currently made of 20mm galvanized pipe but Bunnings doesn't sell anything longer than 1.8m in that stuff. The US get 3m! And I don't weld, or know anyone that does which is a bugger. I don't need another hobby! :laugh:

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Go for a braked winch. $82 from bunnings. Winches in both directions for lifting and lowering. Strip and pixels add up to quite a lot of weight.

My Megatree pole
Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.

We had pretty horrific winds last season and this thing had not issues with 56 strands raising and lowering.

Dreamin

Full time elf
Go for a braked winch. $82 from bunnings. Winches in both directions for lifting and lowering. Strip and pixels add up to quite a lot of weight.
Does that one come with any strap or cable?

Also what pole did you use? Was that raised with a pulley?

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
The winch does not come with any cable however the cable can also be picked up from bunnings for $20 for I think 20 meters.

I used 50x50 6 meter steel box section and cut a slot at the top of the post and below the winch. I then drilled 2x pulleys one at the top and one at the bottom and had the pulley half in and half out of the box section I ran the cable through the box section and ran it through the pulleys to the topper. This allowed for the cable to raise and lower the megatree topper.

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
Finally got the connectors finished for the 24 strips and am happy with the result. They are PETG and actually look better in real life than the photos. I have ordered new lights today so I will get the strip complete in the next couple of weeks.

Time to start getting some steel together to fab the ASAP pole and the bottom strip semicircle I'll probably roll something and also mount it to the pole. It's all figured out as I go so I'll keep you all posted.

Attachments

• 20200507_232238_resized.jpg
    20200507_232238_resized.jpg
    1,003.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200507_232638_resized.jpg
    20200507_232638_resized.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 32

Adam V

Apprentice elf
Finally got the connectors finished for the 24 strips and am happy with the result. They are PETG and actually look better in real life than the photos. I have ordered new lights today so I will get the strip complete in the next couple of weeks.

Time to start getting some steel together to fab the ASAP pole and the bottom strip semicircle I'll probably roll something and also mount it to the pole. It's all figured out as I go so I'll keep you all posted.
How did you go sorting the poles?