Mighty Mini clone

JPB

Full time elf
I am thinking of mighty mini style lights for this year and I am going to knock one up on breadboard to see how suitable the light would be on various parts of my house.

Are the .5w leds the ones I am after for this and can anyone recommend somewhere I can get small quantities, I only need 12-15 of each colour ( R G B ) for the test?
This is one place I found
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10mm-High-Power-LED-0-5W-150mA-RED-10-pieces-/120797171606?pt=AU_Electronics_Wholesale_Electronics&hash=item1c20128f96

I know I can get them from Ray but that is probably overkill for the small number.

Jon

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
What exactly is a mighty mini? Ray is pretty cheap for leds but what works out even cheaper is for him to put the lights together. It is next to impossible to compete with his prices when it comes to assembling your lights unless you value your time at absolutely nothing.

JPB

Full time elf
The mighty mini is a small RGB flood light originally developed by someone on the DIYC site.
And yes, I can buy similar fully made from Ray but I really enjoy building things myself. I gave up fine woodworking when I caught CLAP ::)

Jon

kool-lites

Full time elf
Jon,
Something to remember in choosing LEDs is their dispersion angle, the MM used 120degree leds as opposed to 30 to 40 degree ones.
I linished one of my porta flood led lights to make them wider angle,

If you decide to roll your own, get some CC devices. They will give excellent life.
Above all have fun learning. If I can help call me.

JPB

Full time elf
Thanks for the advice Matt.
I am not sure what I want to do with them, maybe uplighting under some trees, maybe spotting the gable end of the roof so I don't know if I want a spot or a flood.

I am guessing the reference to CC in your post is constant current and yes, I was planning on that.

Jon