Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Video Taping Shows

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gigogig

gigogig
To Christmas and Halloween communities,
Originally, I started a project of doing an internet based mini. The idea was simple; do a mini that anyone could attend from anywhere using conferencing software. The hope was to be able to have experts in any particular part of our hobby be able to present to anyone, not just those that were close to them. I had hoped that by doing this we could grow our communities and be able to better include people that weren’t close to large cities. However, the idea quickly got bigger than what could be done in a day, then a weekend, and even a week. So, a new plan was devised, mini minis. The idea is to have two to four one-hour presentations, followed up by one to two hours of discussions (via webcams, voice and text). So that’s the new idea, and I can now say that I have the server up and running (not pretty like I’d like, but in the interest of time, up.) Now we are looking for presenters and times to do this: I was thinking evenings of Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays.

gigogig

gigogig
presentation software

With regard to presentation software:
We have selected the main presentation software of bbb, but we do have some other failbacks if that doesn’t work. The software will allow us to have a text chat, audio chat, and webcam chat, with a slide / whiteboard area, and desktop screen sharing. During a presentation, there will be audio / webcams from the presenters, but a text chat available to all. Also a presenter can give an audience member the ability to share a webcam / audio if they wish. During the webcam chat time, anyone (with a mic \ webcam - and perhaps headphones to stop audio feedback) will be able to join in and have a conversation about whatever. Because the server is USA based, it will work best for USA based listeners, as lag and packet drops become a problem the further away you get. If this works well, we are already looking to add servers / bandwidth around the world!

gigogig

gigogig
Possible presentation list

Possible presentation list (if you have ideas for more please let us know. We are looking for anyone that would be willing to present these or co-present these):
How to use bbb - quick introduction into the meeting software feature set. –gigogig first show
Shared neutral cables / US110 how-to. – gigogig first show
Fm-transmitters and antennas.
Tips and tricks in dealing with flicker.
Hacking GECE
Surveillance: software, hardware and setup.
Light-O-Rama (lor) software: (possibly sequencing, setup and tricks.)
Vixen2.x: (possibly sequencing, setup and tricks)
Vixen3.x: (possibly sequencing, setup and tricks)
Xlights: setup and tricks
Light Show Pro (LSP): (possibly sequencing, setup and tricks)
Audacity: Working with audio
Servos: Selecting and functionality
Servo controllers: Selecting and functionality
Welding Techniques
DMX Primer: Underlying concepts, limitations, and potential implementations
RGB controlling: comprehensive overview of multiple types
RGB pixels: comprehensive overview of various physical formats
RGB protocols: comprehensive overview (including 2801, 3001, GECE, etc.)
RGB power: options for power distribution between 5v/ 12v/ 24v RGB power
Dumb RGB lights: comprehensive overview
Animated Displays
Video Taping Light Shows: tips and tricks
AC controller choices
DC controller choices
Projection Displays
Foggers: Comprehensive overview
Soldering how-to
PCB Board design (advanced).
Coroplast building
Lasers Displays
Light strand repair: comprehensive overview
Display layout and design
Mini tree how-to
Mega tree how-to
Power calculation: AC 110/220, DC5v/DC12v
Aesthetics comparisons of LED outputs
Pic programing

gigogig

gigogig
moderators

To moderators:
It is important to me to emphasize the neutrality of this project. I don’t have any problems with anyone, and it isn’t my intention to create any kind of “competition” or dissent. I’m a member of multiple sites because I believe that all of them bring something to the users they serve (aka me). I am trying to bring something to them as well, and I am offering this because I feel that there is no one doing this specific type of minis/get-togethers/meetings/presentations, and I see a need for it. I hope not to be stepping on anyone’s toes by starting this. As I see it, the traditional minis/ get-togethers/ meetings/ presentations are superior to internet based ones in almost every way. Unfortunately their only downfall is in users that can’t make it to presentations, and presenters that can’t make it closer to the users. That said, please let me know if I’m crossing the lines of your site and I won’t put anything about this back up.

gigogig

gigogig
possible presenters

To possible presenters
First, thanks for considering doing a presentation. People like you are the glue of our communities – allowing others a rare opportunity to learn from your wisdom, as well as your trial and error. Second, there are a few suggested requirements to be a presenter. If you do not meet the suggestions, consider reaching out to other community members for assistance before beginning:
A newer webcam (less than 3 years old) that can do 720p streaming and not integrated into a laptop or screen
At least a 512kbps internet upload connection - 2mbps is preferred
At least a 5mbps download internet connection
A dedicated microphone (not integrated into a laptop or a webcam)
Have headphones around just in case to prevent audio loopback when you are presenting (we hope to prevent this in software if we can, but it doesn’t always work)
We ask that you place as much of the information as you can onto slides (they don’t need to be perfect, just there - preferably with pictures) and give them to us before the presentation so that we can get them onto the server.
We would like to have two presenters in a presentation if we can. This way, if one has problems the other can take over. Or, in an ideal environment, so that one can better watch chat for questions, or just interject other personal experiences, while the other focuses solely on presenting.
We would like presenters to have, use, and be acquainted with splitcam (it’s free - but be careful to only install it and not its crapware).
Last but not least, we ask that presenters stick around for the “after presentation webcam chat” in case questions need answered or further discussion is needed to fully understand.
That’s it and that’s all! If you are still interested, please tell us what mini you would like to do and when you are available by posting to this forum. From there, we will work up a schedule and get back to you.

gigogig

gigogig
vendors

To vendors:
We would love to give away prizes, so let us know if you’re interested in giving something away, or if you have suggestions for how to better integrate you :). If you’re interested in doing presentations on your software or hardware, we ask that you make it clear that you are the vendor. We also require that you do not putdown any other products or vendors – we aim to keep this positive.

kevin

New elf
Sounds like a great Idea. When do you expect to get something going on this? Is there a special site that will host these minis?

Wish you the best in getting this off the ground. I think alot of people will find something like this very valuable, new users and experts.

gigogig

gigogig
mini minis starting the 8th

So we are going to try our first “TheShow” on 6-8-2012 at 6pm -700 or usa az time or Mountain Standard Time \ Pacific Daylight Time. First we will do a making Shared neutral cables and USA ac 110 history. We will follow that up by How to use bbb a quick introduction into the meeting software feature set. Once that’s done we will open up the “OpenRoundTable” for anyone with a webcam and headphones + microphone to discuss whatever you want holiday related. We are going to try to make this a regular date time, so if we don’t get presenters for a given week we will just open up the “OpenRoundTable” for anyone interested.

kevin

New elf
What are the instructions for connecting to the server? Any special client software required? What about user names and passwords? Is the site open at other times to test the connections?

Thanks
Kevin

gigogig

gigogig
" What are the instructions for connecting to the server? Any special client software required? What about user names and passwords? Is the site open at other times to test the connections?"
server llink will be posted on the 8th 6th.
client software needed is up to date java and flash. athow chrome works best any browser should work.only presenters have passwords.well bugger thats a good point changing the server post date to the 6th, but you wont be able to do much so you can try out http://demo.bigbluebutton.org/as that's the same underlying teck.

gigogig

gigogig

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Gig,

I actually think it's a great idea, one thing i would like to see though is the information discussed be captured and disseminated back to all the forums via a post about each mini-mini that gives details about the event (bit like a blog writeup) and the links to the captured video if possible.

Happy to be involved in presenting where i have knowledge as well, let me know..... must admit i hadn't really noticed this thread till today

Cheers
Phil

gigogig

gigogig
AussiePhil said:
Gig,

I actually think it's a great idea, one thing i would like to see though is the information discussed be captured and disseminated back to all the forums via a post about each mini-mini that gives details about the event (bit like a blog writeup) and the links to the captured video if possible.

Happy to be involved in presenting where i have knowledge as well, let me know..... must admit i hadn't really noticed this thread till today

Cheers
Phil
show will be
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory)
Saturday, June 9, 2012 at 11:00:00 AM
EST
UTC+10 hours
If the first two shows go well, i will add a dedicated recording server for the 3rd show and beyond.
Phil would love to have you present some shows 8) .

gigogig

gigogig