Mini tree's from old Big W LED's

scamper

Dedicated elf
I had heaps of old Big W LED's from the last few years of static light displays so wanted to use them some way in this my first year of Synchronising.
I decided that some mini trees would do the trick, Here is my first one. I had to undo it and try it a few different ways before this final design. :D

Attachments

• IMG_4278.JPG
    IMG_4278.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4241.JPG
    IMG_4241.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4248.JPG
    IMG_4248.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4250.JPG
    IMG_4250.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 36

scamper

Dedicated elf
I built the frames. I was going to get some tomato cages, but at $16 each I used 6mm rod and welded it up myself. Only $7 from local hardware, I am sure I could get it cheaper if I hunted around but what is $7 when you spend hundreds on LED's and controllers etc.
I tried a couple variations and ended up welding a washer on the top and ran some galv wire up and down the frame so when I wound the lights it was rounder. I have seen people do it before without doing this and it is a triangle, which I didn't want.
I had to wind 3 sets of strings, so 600 led's total to get the fill I wanted, the frames are 1200mm tall.
and I rewired the strings to control them with a 27ch ray wu controller on a 27v power supply, you only get red and green or orange and blue as they are wired that way, so only need 2 channels for each tree.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Thanks for sharing that. you lost me at the welding bit. Well done.