Mini trees with mini stars test

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Just been running a few tests on my mini trees with the mini stars on top.
For the trees decided that 100 pixel nodes per tree looked best.
The star pixels are connected to the tree pixels so that's 106 pixels per tree and therefore per output. The stars struggle with power when the trees are fully lit but I can get them glowing reasonable well if I reduce the brightness of the trees to 50% in certain parts of the sequence and at 50% they are still fairly bright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNQT6iJc8Lg&list=UUrMI8DApZhD0Pi3r4v9ePKg

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Boof63 said:
Very nice, loved the model walking across the set!!!

cheers Boof63 :D :D

That's one of our Ragdolls, Cocoa who likes to get in on the act. The other one, Yeti is too lazy to bother.

You could say the model likes the "catwalk"

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Thanks. The video is a bit rubbish esp with all the stuff close behind the trees but you get the idea. Just finished my star for the top of my mega tree which I'm also going to run off the top of the last strip.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Ed Slonka Jr said:
Nice job!!!
What type of pixels are you using on the tree?
Thanks, Ed

Using the WS2811 pixel nodes with black string.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100pcs-DC12V-12mm-WS2811-led-pixel-node-with-all-black-wire-20AWG-IP68-rated/1032319604.html

logandc99

Dedicated elf
From mini trees to megatree. Gosh I didn't realise it was so tall! Now I gotta figure out how to stabilize it. The aluminum strips are more flexible than I realized.

9ydeparu.jpg

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Just trying to work out now how to make sure my coro star stays on the top in a big wind

burner

Full time elf
Are you able to screw in a cross member at the top, and then cable tie the points of the star to the cross members and the pole? You may need to perforate it to allow less resistance too.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
burner said:
Are you able to screw in a cross member at the top, and then cable tie the points of the star to the cross members and the pole? You may need to perforate it to allow less resistance too.

I put horizontal strips of aluminium across the back of the star and them I plan to attach a vertical piece of aluminium to those. Then I am going to use those large hose clamps to attach the vertical piece at the back to the flag pole which would make it removable if high winds are forecast. I can easily get on the roof to remove it. But I might also run some stabilising connections down from the points of the star as you suggested. We can get some mean NE winds which would blow right into the back of the star.