"Mixing" WS2811 pixels to use as null pixel

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Hi dudes, I have determined I need a null pixel on a set of pixicles, which are WS2811 running on 12v. Unfortunately I don't have any left over strings to harvest a pixel to create a null, but I do have a heap of spare pixels which are WS2811 running on 5v.

Is it possible to use one of these 5v pixels as a null pixel by running 5v to it, have the 12v bypass it, so just running the data through? If that makes sense!

Thanks. :)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
All pixel data is 5V so that should be no problem. The problem will be getting 5V to power the 5V pixel.

i13

Dedicated elf
You can do this but you shouldn't connect the positive between the different voltage pixels. Only connect the negative and data.

It is always good to order a few more pixels than you need. You'll be in trouble if you have one pixel die.

Skunberg

Full time elf
Re: "Mixing" WS2811 pixels to use as null pixel

Couldn't you send 5v from the controller and inject 12v where they start?

multicast

Senior elf
5v1 zener diode will do the job to hook your 5V pixel ( null ) to a 12V supply..

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
A resistor and zener actually. It's too late at night for me to do the maths but you can't just put a zener diode in there to regulate the 12V down to 5.1V.

multicast said:
5v1 zener diode will do the job to hook your 5V pixel ( null ) to a 12V supply..