Modular Matrix

stooged

Pixelated
i am not really sure where to post this but it is an idea i am working on which is to build a modular matrix by building 100 pixel panels.
i had a lot of problems last xmas with pixels dying mid show and having to cut out pixels and replace them mid show was annoying so i decided to make modules i could swap out quickly and then fix the defective pixels on the bench during the day/later on keeping the show running.

i made a video showing how to use lightburn to create the panels to be cut from coro and i also added svg files for 12mm, 24mm and 48mm spacing in the video description.
you could probably 3d print the panels too but i cut them with my laser.

i am going to build a bunch of these for next xmas and see how well it all goes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v9iM_ht_Is

someoneAUS

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
Certainly looks like a cool idea. The more modular you can make the display the easier setup/packup and repairs each year becomes I guess.

chickda

New elf
I'm interested on how you will join the panels together?

Very cool idea. You could put this application anywhere.

stooged

Pixelated
I'm interested on how you will join the panels together?

Very cool idea. You could put this application anywhere.
i was thinking of using some mesh from bunnings like this

then using cable ties to attach each panel to the mesh but i would need to adjust the cut file to suit 25mm spacing so each pixel sits within each square of the mesh.
other ideas i had were to build a frame out of flat or angle bar and have all the panels sit on rails and make the fit tight so the panels push in and wedge themselves in.
its going on a double gate so i do have a back stop plus i think it would be better if i used black coro too.

it was an idea i had while recording videos on how to make bullet pixel props in lightburn, i got side tracked with it and i was thinking of how those p5 panels worked, they were modular so i thought why cant we do that with coro and bullet pixels.

lucky enough i have a few months to come up with a mounting system.

stooged

Pixelated
i also experimented with using 3mm acrylic and other sheeting to make fairly rigid panels, these could support screw or clip mounting ideas, it would increase the cost but there were also a few other issues...

Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.

the black acrylic sheets look nice but when you expose it to a flame it burns well and would consume the entire sheet so thats not very good.

the clear sheets do not support a flame so the fire resistance is great but they are pvc so you need to make sure you DO NOT cut them with an open frame/air laser, you should really enclose an open frame laser and add fume extraction anyway.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Love it. I have a laser and never even thought of trying to cut coro xD
I guess now I will be doing some testing :cool:

stooged

Pixelated
Love it. I have a laser and never even thought of trying to cut coro xD
I guess now I will be doing some testing :cool:
coro cuts pretty easy but i find the little flutes within it sometimes dont cut all the way through but you can pop out holes and snap lines really easily so it still does the job.
i cut 24 meters of icicles and a few candy canes and some singing lightbulbs for last years show out of 5mm bunnings coreflute and it all worked really well.

cdjazman

Full time elf
i am not really sure where to post this but it is an idea i am working on which is to build a modular matrix by building 100 pixel panels.
i had a lot of problems last xmas with pixels dying mid show and having to cut out pixels and replace them mid show was annoying so i decided to make modules i could swap out quickly and then fix the defective pixels on the bench during the day/later on keeping the show running.

i made a video showing how to use lightburn to create the panels to be cut from coro and i also added svg files for 12mm, 24mm and 48mm spacing in the video description.
you could probably 3d print the panels too but i cut them with my laser.

i am going to build a bunch of these for next xmas and see how well it all goes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v9iM_ht_Is

Awesome idea. Is that 5mm coro?

stooged

Pixelated
Awesome idea. Is that 5mm coro?

yes the 5mm coro from bunnings but they only sell white in 5mm at my local store so i also got the 2.5mm black sheets and glue the 2 sheets together which gives me the black background plus makes the panel more rigid by laying the direction of the flutes in opposite directions.

panel.jpg