Modules or strobes??

Porsche

Full time elf
Hi guys, Im just in the process of placing an order with Ray.
Ive seen a few displays where they have a quick flashing light in the background. Making the display look like being at a concert where the cameras flashing.
Has anyone got this effect on the display and can point my to what type of lights they actually are??
Are they a just a white square module or strobe type light.
Cheers
Phil

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I used the ACL LED strobes that were available a couple of years ago as a group buy kit, they work well. others use xenon strobes instead of LED and now people are starting to use the 2811 strobes strings from Ray

kane

Dedicated elf
Don't bother with the 2811 strobes, Alan's design was bastardised and they're not very bright at all. (1w LED only drawing 0.3w) I didn't even bother using the ones I bought.

I much prefer the ACL ones, but that'd require Eddy organising another group buy :)

Blackbeard

New elf
Do you have a good link to a description of the ACL strobes and maybe a comparison video showing xenon and the ACL strobe together? Are the ACL DIY in that the layouts are provided (could I make my own PCB, etc)?

Thanks
steve

Skunberg

Full time elf
I use both. The Xenon (also called curtain strobes) are much brighter and more of the flash look. But are much more money, not as precise (if you want to time them to part of your show), much larger and heavier, use more power.

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Blackbeard said:
Do you have a good link to a description of the ACL strobes and maybe a comparison video showing xenon and the ACL strobe together? Are the ACL DIY in that the layouts are provided (could I make my own PCB, etc)?

Thanks
steve

You'll find most stuff in the Wiki which is searchable. There is a dedicated page just for the strobes HERE
There are also a number of posts that have some good info, again search is your friend.