More effects, same unfinished star

Charl Marais

For my twins was the excuse I started with.
Very very nice. Mind if I ask how u did the sequencing?
Have a similar star based on a Bethlehem star but I am battling with the sequencing and you have done at least 3 of the ideas I had in your sequence already. *begs*

battle79

Full time elf
The big secret is that a spinner, ie my 10 radial lines, are the same as a mega tree when you look at it from the top.

Now don't go telling the whole forum or everyone will be doing it, but I just use the nutcracker effects based on 10 strands, in my case 17 pixels long. Not everything makes sense (butterfly is terrible in this use), but most work well.

Cheers,
Rowan

logandc99

Dedicated elf
While the star isnt lit it looks quite simple and at first look doesnt seem to have a lot of lights on it. But then I was amazed at how many patterns came out of that star once it got going!. Awesome job. Really liked the spiral effect.

greg58

Full time elf
Hey Rowan, very impressive, do yu have an design info to share. I ahve been looking at different stars, and now I have seen how many effects you have goten out of yours, i am keen to do the same.
Greg

battle79

Full time elf
Nothing more than the photos really.

Step 1: Get 3 rolls of strip and a bag of 1000 silicon end caps and a roll of 3core wire
Step 2: Lay out a mock up of you star to get sizes. I used coro, but cardboard would do.
Step 3: Cut up the strip into sections and begin soldering short wires onto the end of strips to turn the corners, remembering to use the caps and a tube of neutral cure silicon to waterproof as you go. Every 40-50 pixels (if using 5V) remember to add a power injection wire to the 5V and ground and run it back to your connection point.
Step 4: For me I'm getting a metal frame welded up to mount it onto, you could use anything strong enough to withstand your mounting location. I was originally just going to leave it on the coro for this year as was going over a window where it would have been well supported.
Hope that helps,
Rowan

Boof63

Senior elf
Hi Battle70, great star, even without the inner stars, Can you please tell me how many pixels are on the diagonals. Strands are 17, but looking at this as alternate to seizure star.
cheers and thanks :D :D :D
Boof63

battle79

Full time elf
radial lines are 17 pixels/section.
Outer star is 10 pixels/section.
Middle star will be 6 pixels/section.
Inner star will be 4 pixels/section.
End of each radial I put 4 pixels in a 2x2 config to be like strobe/sparkly bits at end of each one.

Originally I was going to difuse all the pixels except the groups of 4 so they would really stand out. But I've been outvoted 1 to 1 by the wife.

All up 410 pixels out of one P2 output. Whole thing is powered off of one 6 core 14/020 cable (short).

Cheers,
Rowan

Boof63

Senior elf
Thanks for the info ,tried counting pixels from the video, but my eyesight gives me different numbers, So thanks again for the actuals

cheers Boof63

Winney

Is it time to start decorating?
LOVE THIS STAR. Great effects, great sequencing and great use of the color palette. Wish it were mine.