Mounting LED strips outside

yzguy96

Full time elf
Hi,

I was wondering what everyone uses to mount their LED strips outside around their windows and roofline? I bought some 10mm plastic clips but i do not want to drill holes in the wood in my windows every year. My second floor roofline also doesnt have a gutter so I would have to mount to the faccia which is also wood or aluminum siding.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Many including me use 25mm electrical conduit to create a frame for the windows and for outlining gutters and roof lines. Works great and makes setting up and pulling down and storing very easy.

yzguy96

Full time elf
ok i think i read that in the forums but what do you mount those to by the windows or faccia? I assume you zip tie by the gutters? Do you just put some type of j hook by the window frame then zip tie to them? The hooks stay in all year round?

yzguy96

Full time elf
The adhesive is strong enough and stays up all yr? I have cold ice weather with wood and aluminum siding.

burner

Full time elf
In my case I grabbed some flat steel (1-2mm thick) and cut it with tinsnips to 40mm*10mm. I drilled 2 holes in these (1 * 3.2mm for a rivet, and 1 * 4mm for heavy guague cable ties) and every 40-50cm rivetted them to the metal facia. I painted them the same colour and they're hardly noticeable

For the window frames, I did Fast Eddy's trick and used 25mm conduit, with elbows to form a square. I painted them the same as the window frames and can stay up all year if I wanted to. For the side's I drilled 1 hole and put a sadle in the middle. I then liquid nailed a saddle to the steel lintel at the top in the centre. After that the lights fitted nicely into the End Cap stuff from Bunnings.