3.x moving a sequence between profiles

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
I have created a sequence under 1 profile where the setup only had the 27 ch required. It took me 5 hours to get it to this point, of which Im happy with as its a lip sync that is fairly acurate.
I have since created a new profile with my full show setup (9000 odd channels) and now I need to get this sequence into this setup so I can sequence the rest of my props.

How can I do this?

sck1ng

Apprentice elf
Have you tried to copy and paste? Not sure if you have the same element between the two profiles? I guess in worse case you could try to export to vixen 2 and open it in the new profile.. I think you have to set up the mapping for the import..

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Its All good now,
I had to open 1 profile, copy and then close and open the other profile and paste into the new sequence.

I tried exporting to Vix2 and opening/mapping into the new profile but the effects didnt come through so must have had something not set right.

davrus

Silent elf
If you export to Vixen 2, and then try and import that back into Vixen 3, you will not get the result you are seeking, as a lot of details will be lost, and it will come back as a much larger file, with hundreds/thousands of individual effect items.

You can export the gradients, etc, and import them into the new profile (or they may already be there), and the only current way to move stuff from one profile to another is copy and paste.

Moving stuff between sequences in the same profile, you can have both sequences open at the same time, so copy & paste is easy in that situation.

The dev team is looking at this problem, but it probably will not get done until next year.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
ԆцряєсϮ said:
Its All good now,
I had to open 1 profile, copy and then close and open the other profile and paste into the new sequence.

When you say Copy & paste, are you referring to the sequence information (actually highlighting the fades etc) or are you talking about ZIP files of the profile?
I want to sequence on my main PC (quicker & easier with mouse & screen) and then transfer completed file(s) to my show laptop. Can I just copy the sequence & audio files or is there another process for this?

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Hi Graham

If your not using profiles, just do your sequencing on your main PC and then copy your entire Vixen folder from your Mydocs folder onto your laptop.
Thats if you are saving your sequences in the default folder within that vixen folder.

If your using profiles, just make sure yiou have the same profile name on your lappy and copy that profiles working folder.

Simples

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
That sounds much easier, thanks! Although just out of interest, what are the Profiles for?

adski

Dave Brown
Unless your desktop and your laptop are running the same operating system version, and you have the same username on both machines, this could still turn ugly due to mismatched file paths.

The safest way is to use profiles and create them in a path such as c:\Vixen\Show2014. The path can then be identical on both machines regardless of OS and username, and the profile can be safely copied between machines.

This is a well known annoyance and should be fixed next year.

Dave

adski

Dave Brown
djgra79 said:
That sounds much easier, thanks! Although just out of interest, what are the Profiles for?
Profiles were originally included to allow the developers to test and debug other users' problems in a separate isolated environment, so that it would not interfere with their own show. They allow you to have multiple setups e.g. a Christmas show, a Halloween show, a separate environment for testing a new prop etc., and proved to be so useful and popular that they were (at first reluctantly) included in the release builds.

This is fine if you do everything on the one computer, but can be troublesome if you have separate editing and show computers. Unless they have identical OS and username, some hand editing of XML is required to make it work.

Dave

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Thanks for the info. I do in fact have separate OS on my main PC and show laptop, so I might just save my work now and see what results I get from the old copy paste of the Vixen folder. Otherwise I might have to resort to sequencing on the laptop which is achievable but not as fast.

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Graham, another option is to get your self a Raspberry Pi and go down the FPP route.
Very easy to setup and that way you can sequence on whatever machine you want. Ive done that this year.

About $50 I think.

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Thats right Gerry, Ive gone with Vixen 3 this year and running the show using the Falcon pi Player.
I had no way of sequencing my faces with LSP as the import feature doesnt work