3.x Moving vixen 3 to a different computer

scamper

Dedicated elf
I have just bought a new laptop to run my xmas lights on as the old one I was using was just too old and the more lights and effects I did, the slower it went.
I have been trying to copy all of the files over so I didn't have to start from scratch, but am having trouble even finding them.
I found all of the .tim files for the sequences, but have no setup info. ie There are no element's or controller or patch info.
Can someone tell me where these files may be hiding and what type of files they are so I can copy them over.
It took hours to set them up to start with and I really don't want to have to do it all again.

JPB

Full time elf
Do a backup and you will get the lot.
System Menu > Profiles then click on the Zip Wizard button

then transfer the zip to the new computer and then unzip.

Jon

davrus

Silent elf
JPB said:
Do a backup and you will get the lot.
System Menu > Profiles then click on the Zip Wizard button
then transfer the zip to the new computer and then unzip.
Jon

What he is saying, is to use the Profile Wizard, to zip up your profile in the old computer. This assumes that all your files are in the Vixen Profile subdirectory. If you background image is somewhere else, it won't be included. If you audio files are somewhere else, they also will not be included.

If your profile is in your "My Documents", then you will have a problem, unless your user name on the new laptop is exactly the same as on your old computer.

You should setup your Vixen profile on the C: drive then you don't get these problem when you move your Vixen data from PC to PC.

The two most important files are in the SystemData folder and are SystemConfig and DataStore.... those are the xml files that define your display, and your controllers.

abundy

Full time elf
Hi guys, i have the same issue with transferring to a new P/C
I am clicking on the "Zip Wizard" button, but am getting a pop up window with "unable to locate any profiles"

The 2 P/C have the same default user names.
Vixen has been loaded using the same default value on each machine.

Any idea's as to how to overcome this problem.

Thanks...

abundy

Full time elf
Hi guys....I have managed to figure this out.
I basically needed to select the default profile and click OK.
Have backed up the profile and copies the zip file to a directory under c:\ and changed the folder to look for on the new P/C.

J