MP3 volume

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I couldn't find it on a search.
I am using speakers for my music ( no transmitter) and the songs I am using are all at a good volume but I wanted to use the Robot THX intro at the beginning of the show. However, the only mp3 versions I can find are considerably lower in volume than all my music, and at full volume on the speakers, the THX intro doesn't sound very loud.
I tried using audacity to increase the volume but it just distorted the mp3.
Anyone know how I can up the volume of the THX intro to make it equal volume to my songs without distortion?
Don't want to reduce the volume of the songs down to the level of the THX intro as then the music will be too soft during the show ( sorry for the long winded question....... It's late at night)

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
audacity will help you out, but increasing the volume is only one part of the job, you will also need to play around with the Bass levels and even out the sound wave spikes.

try running the normalize function first on the mp3, then use the amplify function. See if you have any luck with that way.

If you are still getting distortion, you will want to lower the bass for the track, normalise again and consider using a powered amplifier for your speakers. (running though a home sound system or similar.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Ok, great, thanks for the advice. I will give that a go.
I haven't used Audacity before so will I play around with the settings as you suggested.

burner

Full time elf
Why not just rip that off a DVD? You could play the DVD back on your pc, then plug your audio out cable (usually the green port) to your line input socket (usually your blue), and then go into audacity and set te microphone source to your line input socket and hit record, then hit play on the DVD.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Thanks for all the input. All good ideas. In the meantime I managed to find a version with better volume so all good now. However, if the problem arises in the future, I've now got some solutions, so thanks again for the replies.