multicast packets taking down site/chat

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Harrison our friendly neighbourhood underpaid host popped into chat tonight and confirmed something that ryanschristmaslights and I speculated on a while back. Multicast packets from people logged into the site and or chat are hitting the ACL host firewall and causing the crashes that we have been experiencing of late. If you are broadcasting multicast to your E1.31 devices and are logged into chat and/or the site there is every possibility you are contributing to crashing.
If possible log out whilst you're testing or running your show. Multicast is easier but it throws packets here, there and everywhere.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
AAH said:
Harrison our friendly neighbourhood underpaid host popped into chat tonight and confirmed something that ryanschristmaslights and I speculated on a while back. Multicast packets from people logged into the site and or chat are hitting the ACL host firewall and causing the crashes that we have been experiencing of late. If you are broadcasting multicast to your E1.31 devices and are logged into chat and/or the site there is every possibility you are contributing to crashing.
If possible log out whilst you're testing or running your show. Multicast is easier but it throws packets here, there and everywhere.

I say go unicast anyway. Much easier, except for the fact you need to have pre thought to your planning.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
im willing to try an reproduce this fault on my server if people want to attack hard with multicast,
as there would have to be a way around this, or some kind of fix/patch.
As begginers will allways try multicast before they learn unicast.
so that means it could allways happen

(just my idea on a solution)

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
It's not me as I have the show PC separated from my internet PC, but in testing before the show started I found that with multicast on rather than unicast, my ADSL modem was not sending packets out at all - there was no data out except my 5 minute updates to the weather website. I wonder if some ADSL modems block the traffic, while others allow it through?

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
im no guru, but perhaps a small proggie that we could use that would automatically setup a port lock of the outgoing ports that we normally use for broadcast. Would this effect the show itself if it is within the LAN?

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Isn't e1.31 udp multicast and non routable? Ie the routers you connect to need to be aware of the multicast steam (igmp snooping off the top of my head) before they route the packet?

If that is the case it seems unlikely e1.31 is causing the problem.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Kaden said:
Isn't e1.31 udp multicast and non routable? Ie the routers you connect to need to be aware of the multicast steam (igmp snooping off the top of my head) before they route the packet?

If that is the case it seems unlikely e1.31 is causing the problem.

Thanks kaden, I thought this might of been the case, also most modems have a tick box for streaming, thats normaly ticked off

plus who in australia would have a upstream fast enouth to take down a server?

lets hope the issue can be solved