Music mixing & editing

QLDKing(Brad)

Senior elf
Hi Graham

Your post has already got me started thinking about music. One question though - how do you get the vocals only from songs? Ive been hunting for the vocals only to my house (flo rida). Want to have a booming welcome to my house to open the presentation but no idea where to find it/how to get it.

Cheers

Jay.S

Full time elf
Qldking said:
Hi Graham

Your post has already got me started thinking about music. One question though - how do you get the vocals only from songs? Ive been hunting for the vocals only to my house (flo rida). Want to have a booming welcome to my house to open the presentation but no idea where to find it/how to get it.

Cheers

Do a search for "acapella". While this is technically not the correct term, this is what vocal-only tracks are known as.

QLDKing(Brad)

Senior elf
Wow. I've been searching using acapella and vocals only and all sorts of permutations but it never returned anything solid. Thanks for that[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
nice find! Acapella can be spelt different ways too which makes it a little harder to find.
Worst case I can sometimes filter existing songs enough to extract the vocal only, have a couple of tricks up my sleeve!
If you need anything else or a hand editing together shoot me a PM.

Boof63

Senior elf
also try pentatonix, great acapllea group with mix of songs ans styles
Cheers Boof63

Jay.S

Full time elf
Boof63 said:
also try pentatonix, great acapllea group with mix of songs ans styles
Cheers Boof63

In this case, acapella doesn't mean acapella :) rather, the vocal track isolated. For mash-ups you need at least one of the songs you are mixing as "vocals only" because you are mixing the vocals of one song with the music of another. If you don't have an isolated vocal track and you try to layer one song on top of the other all you get is a mess... :D

QLDKing(Brad)

Senior elf
Thanks all :) . I have had a go using audacity on a mac to mix something together. How do I export it for you all to pick apart and make some suggestions?

Jay.S

Full time elf
Qldking said:
Thanks all :) . I have had a go using audacity on a mac to mix something together. How do I export it for you all to pick apart and make some suggestions?

Audacity doesn't save as MP3 natively, you will need a plugin. It's been a few years since I last had to install that, but here are the instructions on getting (and installing) the LAME encoder: http://www.uwec.edu/help/Audacity/exportMP3.htm

pjones

New elf
I don't know if you would be willing to, but I would actually really like to see an instructional video on how to mix and edit the music. Seeing what programs you use, the equipment you use to do it, and the sequence that you take to get the desired results would be really helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi PJ
most of us use Audacity. it's free and cross platform.
plenty of videos and how to info out there on the interweb.
Cheers
Fing

Jay.S

Full time elf
pjones said:
I don't know if you would be willing to, but I would actually really like to see an instructional video on how to mix and edit the music. Seeing what programs you use, the equipment you use to do it, and the sequence that you take to get the desired results would be really helpful.

Hi! Years ago when I was still actively podcasting (and writing for a magazine called Podcast User Magazine) I did a series of articles about audio editing. https://issuu.com/paulparkinson/docs/podcast_user_magazine_issue__9 Look for the article by one "Skinny White Boy". That site holds the archives for the magazine (which has long since been out print). Even though the article in this issue of the mag is YEARS old, it's still almost entirely accurate.