Music transmission in a modern world - avoiding lag issues?

algerdes

Al Gerdes
We have had a few come back around and tell us the sync was off. When we asked them what their radio was set to, in each instance they have "delayed" the channel (as some can do) and they didn't realize it. We had to show several how to clear the delay. Most people don't know about all this "fancy stuff" they have. Since it doesn't matter for their regular listening (usually on SXM), they never even think in that area.

If we have to go to wifi feed, we might as well hang it up. Too many variables, too many different settings, too many people not knowing how to use the tools they have.

spindle

Learning the hard way!
Maybe Bluetooth Auracast might be a future option for such requirements. It was only announced a few days ago (June 2022) for 1 to many instead of the traditional 1 to 1 audio casting.

Pyjamas

New elf
I had a look at CineWav but it appears these are for set movies/events and not for livestreaming custom music in a private setting.

I like the option of a "push to listen" set up, this could also be easily set up through amp speakers where the timer button activates the power to the speakers whereas the amp is always on.

I suppose other options would be to create a live music stream through something like zoom/vimeo and set it up to play so it is in sync to the lights, although this would also require a paid subscription to prevent the "meeting" being cut off after 45 minutes.

Seems like there is no simple solution yet. I guess I'll stick with the outdoor speakers with a limited playing time to prevent disturbing the neighbours late at night

Pyjamas

New elf
Maybe Bluetooth Auracast might be a future option for such requirements. It was only announced a few days ago (June 2022) for 1 to many instead of the traditional 1 to 1 audio casting.
This seems like a perfect solution, will be interesting to see what the pricing and requirements are for this type of thing

KiwiPhil

Full time elf
the problem is not so much the latency as you can account for that its the variable latency that you cant account for - every single model of phone or device would have a different latency

you could work out the latency on the equipment you control ( bluetooth, h.264/5, network switch, access point etc ) but never on the equipment you dont ( internet, wifi, different phone models, os and app would all produce different latency depending on a whole shopping list of variables) Bluetooth has its own limitations of only 7 connections via multipoint at at any one time.

There are clocked signals that keep perfect sync that I deal with daily - AES67, Dante, AVB but these all require wired endpoints to remove the variable latency wireless produces.

The Cinewav app developers knew all of this and that is why they let the user "fine tune" the audio delay or advance. This would mean you need all the content in an app on the device and dealing with all of the licencing involved with that - I am sure somehow you could tap into the multisync of FPP and use that as a starting point to get you close if you manage to jump though the other hoops to get that far.

The simplest thing to do silently would proberbly set up a dedicated 2.4ghz transmitter and bulk buy some headphones all on the same frequency for around 30 bucks each and run it silent disco style.

There are also wireless tx/rx solutions desigend for the hearing impared or for hearing augmentation that use a wide angle IR blaster that can cover 100sqm and beltpack recievers but this all involves in managing hardware such as : https://www.ampetronic.com/infrared/

Lachi3

New elf
I was just looking through the xLights support group and found a system called AudioFetch. I dont know if anyone has had experience with it but i just thought i'd bring it up.
Their sender units seem to be extremely expensive, but it may be of someones interest