My 2013 tree plans

damo1271

Full time elf
Help!
I love this idea for supporting the pixels and have bought some webbing (not sure if nylon or poly) to try it out for my mega tree and pixel matrix.
I am trying to punch holes in the web but for the life of me I cant punch a decent hole simply. I tried the cheap punch, then I bought a 'better' (bigger and more expensive) punch similar to the one in your video. I am simply hammering down onto a flat piece of MDF. A small piece of cardboard underneath helps but I still have to 'bash the punch stupid' just to make a hole. Ie. hitting it 6 or 7 times! With 1500 plus holes to make for pixels this isnt going to work out!
Am i missing something here. There is no way that my punch or the way I am using it makes a hole as cleanly or as easily as your video. thanks.

mborg10

Michael Borg
3ede7a7a.jpg

I bought a punch like this from eBay. $130
With over 2000 eyelets to punch $130 is worth I think.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=960JJj5OLwg

damo1271

Full time elf
I have to make the holes first! That is where I am having the problems so far.
You're right though, the press would make life easier. Does it by chance also press out the holes, or do i need self cutting/punching eyelets for that?

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
I bought the same press and its only good for pressing the eyelets. For your holes make sure you use a good quality punch, I actually used a 10 mm punch and stretched the webbing over the eyelet ( much better fit and no slop) I went through 3 cheap fleabay punches on the first 5 strands (200 holes)
The trick is what you use for your base. Too soft and it will not punch. And too hard and it will stuff your punch
I used Teflon as my base and moved it every 10 or so holes so as not to punch in the same groove to long. I had some off cuts from my enclosure back boards ( Teflon chopping boards from the $2 shop)
If you can mount the punch into a drill press it's even easier. See video :)

mborg10

Michael Borg
That seems like a lot of extra work. Mind you I don't have the press yet but it is described as

Eyelet punching machine
Convenience - Pierces the vinyl and sets the eyelet simultaneously

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Yes no doubt it may pierce some materials but not the nylon webbing, that needs to be punched.
The eyelets that come with the press are not self piercing either. They'd be lucky to pierce paper.
And yes your right it is alot of work but thats what DIY is all about, if it were easy everybody would be doing it :)
Then you could always get someone else to build them for you. But wheres the fun in that :)

mborg10

Michael Borg
I thought doing it once was enough work to scare people off. Now I gotta do it twice. Looks like I'm building a jig in front of the tv.

damo1271

Full time elf
Thanks, I thought your base looked suspiciously like an old chopping board. :)
I will try using one as the base and then try a new punch if i dont have more success. Given the way I have to belt the punch to make a hole, a 10ton hydraulic press would be needed, not a drill press!

Unfortunately i only have a small drill press and the punch wont fit in the chuck. It I can get the punch punching holes I might try making some sort of press. A 1000 holes would be worth a little time to make a press.

Or then again...
maybe a trip to the local tool store is in order.

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Yeah a press is the way to go, as you can see in the Vid my young bloke was punching them OK so sort out your base and you should be sweet.

mborg10

Michael Borg
I just got punching press and 30000 eyelets. Testing it and went straight thru. No pre-cutting of holes. Eyelet punched straight thru with minimal of force or fuss. Looks like my work is back to half again.

damo1271

Full time elf
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Damicka10) said:
I just got punching press and 30000 eyelets. Testing it and went straight thru. No pre-cutting of holes. Eyelet punched straight thru with minimal of force or fuss. Looks like my work is back to half again.

That sounds promising :)
Was it through the poly/nylon webbing that you tested and it went through?
Or was it a different material?
Are they standard eyelets or self punching?
If this punch does the job in poly webbing it is well worth the money.