My first arches

diyer

Full time elf
Hey guy's,
I thought that I would share my first arch construction with you.

I already had a heap of dumb RGB LED's that a friend had brought back from China for me, after a lot of head scratching and YouTube I decided to use 40 x 25mm rectangular PVC cable duct as the arch with a couple of aluminium angles as a base.

I figured that if I glued the cover on the cable duct after it was bent that it should pretty much hold its shape.
I started by making a former, I bolted a flat bar to my router and cut a semi circle out of 9mm MDF, to this I attached a flat bar around the radius with a few blocks of wood for support / clamping positions.

The cable duct was clamped on one end and gently pulled around the former and clamped in place, I then gently heated it to relieve some of the stresses and then glued along the lid join with plastic glue.
Next day I bolted the angles on and un-clamped it. I made three like this.
C:\Documents and Settings\Brenda\My Documents\My Pictures\Christmas stuff\Arch6.JPG

diyer

Full time elf
Correct it is a Ray Wu 27. 8 groups of 4 LED modules wired with Cat6, interconnects between each of the modules pushed into the cable duct

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
I really like the clean layout and RUST proof a big deal where I am being close to the ocean. Well done. You say you used 8 channels of the 9 available. Any reason or could you not fit the extra modules on to use the 9th cannel?

diyer

Full time elf
Hey mate,
The only reason was the available length of the PVC duct, by the time I had pulled it around and shaped it, there was only about 150mm left each end so I spaced out the LED modules to suit the length I had to work with.
The cable duct came in 4m lengths in Aus, maybe longer in NZ?