My first attempted layout with RGB

sck1ng

Apprentice elf
Last edited by a moderator:

kane

Dedicated elf
Can't speak for the LOR mini-director or ELOR side of things (will leave that to the LOR experts)

But one potential issue - you may find that 6metres from the controller to the strip is at the limit of the signal from the e6804. You may have to incorporate a null pixel into the layout to get 6metres.

Also, 8metres length of strip may also have a bit of a problem with voltage drop, requiring power injection.

Best thing to do for both of the above is to hook it up with the exact cables you're planning on using, and test it out. If you find that this strip doesn't light up at all (or you get flashing or other wierd stuff happening), then it's likely to be the length of the data line.

If you light up the whole strip in white, and you start to get pinkish light at the end of the strip, then you'll need to inject power at the end of the strip.

Habbosrus

Back again
I am using the same controller and strip. I found that 5-6 metres was the limit I reached before needing a null pixel. I also found voltage drop around the 6 metre mark too (2x3 mtre strips joined). This is also my first year so lot's of experimenting. Good luck with everything.

sck1ng

Apprentice elf
Thanks for your replies.. I will test it out without injection but will order a couple small extra power supplies just in case I need them.

I am getting excited, I just received my LED strips today, I ordered my E6804 and ELOR today, I also ordered some extra waterproofing stuff. I plan on ordering the power supplies and case early next week.

Any thoughts on these power supplies? http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/waterproof-power-supplies/12vdc-waterproof-mean-well-power-supply-ul-1310/1172/

Think they would be good for doing injection at the end of the strip?

BTW, can I just use a single pixel from the strip as a null pixel without ordering one in?

kane

Dedicated elf
sck1ng said:
Any thoughts on these power supplies? http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/waterproof-power-supplies/12vdc-waterproof-mean-well-power-supply-ul-1310/1172/

Think they would be good for doing injection at the end of the strip?

I would just use your existing power supply (from your diagram), running 2-core cable from the power supply to the end of the strip.

I'd also say that it wouldn't be a good idea to connect two different power supplies to the one strip - you would most likely run into issues doing this.

sck1ng said:
BTW, can I just use a single pixel from the strip as a null pixel without ordering one in?

yes, you can certainly do this - obviously the strips are pretty small and fiddly to work with, but you can use whichever pixels you want. And then, in the e6803 config, you just tell it you have one null pixel on that string, and it will automatically ensure that it is skipped.

sck1ng

Apprentice elf
Kane said:
I would just use your existing power supply (from your diagram), running 2-core cable from the power supply to the end of the strip.

I'd also say that it wouldn't be a good idea to connect two different power supplies to the one strip - you would most likely run into issues doing this.

Thanks.. That would have been embarrassing.. Do you know what AWG wire to use? Would be about 16m from the power supply.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
sck1ng said:
Kane said:

Thanks.. That would have been embarrassing.. Do you know what AWG wire to use? Would be about 16m from the power supply.

Are you running your smart pixels also 16m away from the controller because if this is the case then you will need to also use 1 or 2 dummy pixels along the line to regenerate the data signal.
For 16 metres Voltage drop will be of a concern depending on the load and gauge used. I would look at 1mm or larger (16 gauge) for that distance and use injection between any additional strips as at 16 metres using 1mm cable you will see 1.83 volts dropped. If you used 1.5mm cable then you would see a 1.25 volt drop (16 gauge is in between) presuming your load is 3 amps

dannyp

Full time elf
Hi Eddy what is the formula for working this out? I have 12awg cable which I have to run for 15 meters and I would like to calculate voltage drop.

Thanks

sck1ng

Apprentice elf
Finally got most of my components and ready to start putting a few things together tonight for testing. The company where I ordered the wire, power supply and CG-1500 from forgot to put the pig tails in with my order. So I won't be able to put the pig tails on right now but I should be able to use the ones that came on the strips to at least test until I get those in.

I was wondering does anyone know the best way to mount the power supply in the CG-1500? There are no brackets or anything included with either the PS or case.

sck1ng

Apprentice elf
Got the 6804 and power supply installed in the box and tested all my strips.

gyqubyvy.jpg

sck1ng

Apprentice elf
Making good progress.. I got all my strip lengths soldered together. Have changed a little with the diagram above after getting exact measurements. Have an 80px strip (8m), 75px strip (7.5m) and a 70px strip (7m).. I failed at water proofing things back up so I ordered all new 10mm tubing long enough to cover all the strips without having a joint.

So this week I hope to have my pig tails in so I can solder them in and then test my configuration to see if I have to do injection at the end of the strips. After tests I will then do my waterproofing and then to tackle the sequencers which seems like a big project on its own.

Anyone want to chime in on what do use? This year I just am going to do patterns and now really a show.

ygujete6.jpg

sck1ng

Apprentice elf
Well I'm annoyed now.. I was planning to have everything finished and ready to put up this weekend but the place I ordered the waterproof pigtails and extensions from didn't put the pigtails into the box so I couldn't finish my strips this past weekend. So I emailed him and he sent me out the pigtails but couldn't ship till Tuesday as he was away on vacation. Well he shipped them Tuesday but only sent them UPS ground and now I won't get them till Tuesday of next week. So now I won't be able to get everything finished for another two weeks. Anyone know of a US retailer that would have pigtails at a local store? Home Depot or Lowes?