my first handmade christmas Star

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
Hi all with some advice from members on this forum i have made the frame for my Bethlehem Star for the top of my tree and was suprisingly east the materials list is as follows
1.6 meters of 20mm conduit about $2.00
1 x 4way 20 mm conduit junction box $1.40 from masters
about 2 meters of gal wire $15 for 30 m of 4 strand 20 guage from masters so about $1
4 eye bolts and nuts about $12
the eye bolts may have to be smaller for the next one but you live and learn so all up without pixels about $17 and 30 mins work
and all i need to do is sand the PVC and paint the whole thing black
Let me know what you think
i will run pixels around the outside and also run a second wire about 2.5 cm inside the one already on there and then run more pixels over the conduit and the eye bolts to make a 8 point line star also
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kfpmse2ttja4dy5/2015-01-14%2018.36.07.jpg?dl=0

the dimensions of the star are 900 x 700 mm ok i started by cutting a length of 20 mm conduit into 1 x 700mm and 3 x 300 mm long
the 3 x 300 mm lengths i came in from 1 end 15 mm and drilled a hole only on one end[SIZE=small] the 700 mm length i came on 100 mm and drilled a hole [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]then on the conduit 4 way i went in the middle of the 4 outlets and drilled a 3/8 or 10 mm hole (you can go smaller if you use smaller eye bolts the minimum length on the eyebolt you want to use is 125 mm from the end of the thread to the start of the eye)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]i then took the cover plate off the connector (2 Screws)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]i then put a nut and then a washer on the eye bolt and pushed it through the holes i drilled in the connector then put another washer and nut and tightened the nuts up to hold the eye bolts tight [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]then i put the conduit into the connector with all the holes on the outer end of the conduit[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small] i started at the bottom of the star and threaded the wire through all the holes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]when i got back to the bottom i twisted the wire around the bottom one end only then work clockwise around the star tensioning the wire at each hole and squeezed the wire the create a the sharpest angle possible then when io got back to the bottom i made sure all the conduits were straight and passed the last piece of wire through the bottom hole and twisted together [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]NB the reason i made the hole at the bottom of the star 100 mm from the end is so i can slip the 20 mm conduit into the top of my 25 mm mega tree pole if you want more pipe to slip into your mega tree pole ad more length to the bottom conduit but still drill the hole 600 mm from the other end of the conduit [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small][/SIZE]

lizardking

lizardking(adam) said:
Hi all with some advice from members on this forum i have made the frame for my Bethlehem Star for the top of my tree and was suprisingly east the materials list is as follows
1.6 meters of 20mm conduit about $2.00
1 x 4way 20 mm conduit junction box $1.40 from masters
about 2 meters of gal wire $15 for 30 m of 4 strand 20 guage from masters so about $1
4 eye bolts and nuts about $12
the eye bolts may have to be smaller for the next one but you live and learn so all up without pixels about $17 and 30 mins work
and all i need to do is sand the PVC and paint the whole thing black
Let me know what you think
i will run pixels around the outside and also run a second wire about 2.5 cm inside the one already on there and then run more pixels over the conduit and the eye bolts to make a 8 point line star also
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kfpmse2ttja4dy5/2015-01-14%2018.36.07.jpg?dl=0

Attachments

• 2015-01-14 18.36.07.jpg
    2015-01-14 18.36.07.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 117

B_P_J

Full time elf
Very Nice work Adam, giving me some ideas now, would still really love a mega tree but with everything else it might just miss out, lol

lizardking

BJP a mega tree is not out of the question when i get closer to building mine i will show some pics

B_P_J

Full time elf
no I just mean my shopping list is rapidly expanding, now I have added the Matrix Display, lol, there goes another 2 P2's, plus the P12S and then there are the 2 or 3 2801dc30 boards for my dumb rgb strips I have planned, I am already over 13000 channels without a mega tree, lol