My first (modest) musical blinky display

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Mostly using the 7.5m pre-made 4 core cables from Ray Wu that already have the male and female ends attached but I have done some soldering at the strip end so there could a bad solder connection there or one of the connections between the cables is dodgy as you suggest. Hopefully get some fine weather on Sat so I'll check the connections outside then. Somewhat tempted not to fiddle with it too much now the display is up and running since its mostly working because I'm afraid I might stuff the strip completely. However that missing blue colour does really bug me when the show is running so I might just have to fiddle with it anyway :)

kane

Dedicated elf
logandc99 said:
Mostly using the 7.5m pre-made 4 core cables from Ray Wu that already have the male and female ends attached but I have done some soldering at the strip end so there could a bad solder connection there or one of the connections between the cables is dodgy as you suggest. Hopefully get some fine weather on Sat so I'll check the connections outside then. Somewhat tempted not to fiddle with it too much now the display is up and running since its mostly working because I'm afraid I might stuff the strip completely. However that missing blue colour does really bug me when the show is running so I might just have to fiddle with it anyway :)
Don't take for granted that the premade cables from Ray are all 100% - I've had a couple that were dubious.. After all, they're all just done by hand in a factory with pretty low quality control.. :)

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Good point. I've got some spare cables so ill try swapping some to see if that fixes the problem.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Ok so after the good suggestions you all gave, I had chance to have fiddle with some of the connections on the strip light that wasn't producing full blue. I think the problem is one of my solder joints where the pigtail connects to the strip light. Anyway, without re-doing the connection and just easing off a bit of tension that I think was on the cable, the strip lit up perfectly tonight with all colours as they should. So thanks again for all the suggestions.
Had a small crowd turn up tonight to watch the lights and even got a round of applause from the viewers at the end so that was really cool. And they all went away feeling the Xmas spirit and with smiles on there faces - which is the whole point of doing this sort of thing :)

Skunberg

Full time elf
Your second video is great! Your first one is exceptional!!! You really beat yourself up getting it perfect. Inspiring, thank you.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Skunberg said:
Your second video is great! Your first one is exceptional!!! You really beat yourself up getting it perfect. Inspiring, thank you.

Wow, thanks. That's very kind of you. I think Close Encounters was written for blinking lights :). After watching the second video a couple of times, I've made a few changes in the sequencing to make it a little more interesting ( I hope).
Can't wait to have a go at Pixels next year after seeing some of the other videos being posted up, although sounds like a whole new ball game. Not sure if its worth considering a switch to LSP if I'm going to try pixels or can you do just as well with LOR. Any advice from LSP users would be great.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
First two videos were the iPhone. The latest one was on a Panasonic handycam that records at 1080p but to be honest it really doesn't look a hell of a lot better than the iPhone.

kel

Dedicated elf
work13.gif