My first proper big test (and a thank you)

christmasdave

Full time elf
I think I've finally finished the main part of the house :) This is so addictive though and all I want to to keep adding more! Unfortunately finances won't allow it this year. I am pretty happy with the result though. Still have the mega-tree to put up, although now I've seen other displays here, I am going to call it a mini mega tree (32 strings of 25), plus a couple of other little things and the old fairy lights (which I have a DMX2-18 for). I figure October/November are great testing months to get everything right and find any little suprises.

I want to really thank everyone on auschristmaslighting. It may be my first year, but without all the help and patience I'm not sure I would have gotten this far! You are all so helpful and have so much knowledge! No matter what questions us newbies ask, or how often, people are always willing to lend a hand. Such a great community!

Anyway, here is a link to my test. I also figured I'd give the editing a go so the music is on the clip. I didn't play with the camera setting yet though. Sequence if off the share drive and I got to learn (still learning) how to import and adapt someone else's sequence to my own display.

View: https://youtu.be/8D6RJCh3uwU

Steve Eggins

New elf
Wow that looks great, you have done such a good job.
I am doing my first pixel build this year also, I have had 20000ish fairy lights past few years, could I ask how do you power your dmx2-18 I have a couple so I can use some of my fairy lights in garden and tress but the power is concerning me.

christmasdave

Full time elf
Wow that looks great, you have done such a good job.
I am doing my first pixel build this year also, I have had 20000ish fairy lights past few years, could I ask how do you power your dmx2-18 I have a couple so I can use some of my fairy lights in garden and tress but the power is concerning me.
Thank you :)

I'm using a 31v PSU from Hanson Electronics: http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/power-supply-s-200-31/ for the dmx2-18. I went through all my fairy lights and there was only a few sets that didn't use 31v so decided to pass those on and stick with 31v. Was also much simpler than I imagined it would be to setup and get going with my Advatek controller and xLights.

Dreamin

Full time elf
Looks awesome, love the roof it really makes it pop. Always great to see it all up and running isn't it.
Interested to see how you go with the DMX2-18. I'm thinking of converting my neighbours house which I do with regular lights. Hate having to us so many 240 plugs!

christmasdave

Full time elf
Really awesome! Great music mix!

I m new to Xlights and I m wondering how did you make effect on 59'th second of video. I spent countless hours trying to do that - no luck.
If you perhaps know how can I make same effect like here; https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/my-first-proper-big-test-and-a-thank-you.14006/ 1min 52 sec - outline of roof.
Thnx!
Glad you enjoyed it :)
The sequence and music is from the xLights share drive HERE.

Still learning xLights myself so I understand what you're going through! The effect at 59 seconds is a Single Strand effect (Left-Right) set to a group that has all models in it with default render style.

The effect at 1:52 is the Fan effect (also set the the group with all models in it), with acceleration set with a Value Curve (Sine2Third). The effect was in the original sequence IIRC, but here is a download of the preset for that particular effect: LINK

Was a good test for me to learn how to import someone else's sequence to my own layout and I recommend trying it, although I did find this one a bit difficult and time consuming at first as it was originally intended for a 3D layout (my layout is 2D in xLights), but such a great way to learn. :)