My new Christmas lights project

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Well Christmas just gone was my first Christmas staying at home in over 22 years and with two young girls I thought I would put up some static Christmas lights. Well after reading some forums and checking out what can be done, I have decided to go all in for next year.

I just started in mid Jan so I still have lots to do and not looking forward to programing the LOR lights to music.

See photos to what I have done so far. I will post some more photos when its all finished.

The trees are Multi Colour, Blue and White with each colour having two channels at 100 light per channel. Total 24 channels for 4 trees.
I have started on an arc and will start the light balls soon, looking at around 8 light balls, just need to decide on size.
The stars will be put on top of two 4 channel light poles.

Waiting on another 3 controllers to come and I have four LOR RGB Pixels ( any thought as to what I can do with them, was just thinking of putting them around the front windows.

Please let me know your thoughts as to if I can do it better.

Cheers

Attachments

• Box 2.jpg
    Box 2.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Box 1.jpg
    Box 1.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Trees 1.jpg
    Trees 1.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Star.jpg
    Star.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Balls.jpg
    Balls.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 99

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Very nicely put together Geoff.
My only thought would be that if you are pushing those boards anywhere near their limit then the cable size between the power supplies and the boards may be a little on the low size. Other than that it's a very nice build.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Thanks

I have analysed how much current each channel will draw and it is well under the max. Each channel will only be around 300mA.

I have also got to put in another power supply as I will be using three different voltages. All this should be able to come in under the 10amp of the mains power limit. I do have the option for another 240V in.

Should look neater when finished.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Well the controller box is one step closer to being finished, just need a couple of Hanson DC controllers to put in.

I have finished my Mini Trees and half way through my presents.

Still have my light balls, light poles, Candy canes and Micro Tree to do.

I'm glad I started in Jan as it's going to take me that long to do everything let alone the sequencing. Any Vixen experts in Sydney willing to provide a day or two and teach me and together sequence a couple of songs? Will be happy to pay for your time. This wont be for a few months though as I would like all the items finished first.

What are some good song to use for Christmas sequencing?

Cheers

Attachments

• Box4.jpg
    Box4.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 75
  • Box3.jpg
    Box3.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 96

twooly

New elf
I like the size of the controller box. Name/Brand? I've been wanting to combine some of mine into a larger one like that.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
The Brand is a "Hi Box", very happy with it and it is very strong and water proof, until you drill holes in it. Mine will be mounted on the Garage wall.

http://www.dsehibox.com/

Hi box have lots to choose from but mine is the EN-OOO-5060-S.

Got it for I think $130 including delivery, very cheap I thought.
If you are in Australia I got it from www.switchsplus.com.au 0385873200
Its not on their website but they do have many to choose from. Ask to speak with Kam Mani

twooly

New elf
Thank you very much. Same concept for me, in the garage just wanted to clean up my mess :)

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
gnarmstr said:
The Brand is a "Hi Box", very happy with it and it is very strong and water proof, until you drill holes in it. Mine will be mounted on the Garage wall.

http://www.dsehibox.com/

Hi box have lots to choose from but mine is the EN-OOO-5060-S.

Got it for I think $130 including delivery, very cheap I thought.
If you are in Australia I got it from www.switchsplus.com.au 0385873200
Its not on their website but they do have many to choose from. Ask to speak with Kam Mani
That aussie link did'nt work.. here's the one that works http://www.switchesplus.com.au/