My new Miditree idea

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
After the close and packup of the 2012 show I decided that I really needed to work on a better minitree design. My existing trees have 100 RGB LED's over a black mesh and do look quite good and neat for what they are, and considering they are 6 seasons old, they have done quite well over the years

While looking for snow machines on eBay, I found 8 120cm white Christmas Trees for $132, delivered, so a week later they arrived. 150 5V RGB LED's cable tied to the tree, with power injection each 50 LED's and we have the following comparison video....

http://youtu.be/maxYVPrOrzA

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Yes dumb. Power injection can be done on smart strings, or dumb ones like this. It's explained, with diagrams, in the 101 manual, but basically I have a 4 wire cable run to each end, and every join between 50 pixels. This cable comes back to the one point where the connection to the controller is located.

CDN_Diesel

New elf
very cool. more lights on the original would look just like your new white trees. :) Love the light reflection of the white trees. Great job!

bovonic

New elf
If you use 5A a tree, do you have to only run 2 at a time to stay below 10A on the circuit (assuming you're running power from a standard 10A power point which you're probably not! :D )

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
What? That's 5A at 5 volts - 25 watts, not at 240V (Which would be 1200 watts!!!!!).

I don't do 240V lights at all now.

bovonic

New elf
Sorry! Really need to get my head around non 240V lighting - no idea how to calculate what load you can have on a house circuit when it's not 240V...

Chicken Little

New elf
You need to understand Ohms Law. It doesn't matter whether you convert AC to DC (Rectifier) or DC to AC (Inverter), power consumption is equal on both sides (ignoring losses - primarily heat).
Also voltage and current are inversely proportional to each other so if voltage increases, current decreases by the same proportion (& visa versa).
Therefore, 5 Amps at 5 Volts (DC) is 25 Watts = ?? Amps at 240V (AC) (also 25 Watts). Since 240V is 48 times greater than 5V we have to reduce (divide) 5A by 48 to find the current at 240V = 0.1 Amps (well within the 10A limit of a 240V AC circuit).

Chicken.