my pc has a virus

bbayjohn

Senior elf
Well my Pc has gotten a little sick.
If I click a link I get redirected. My computer is infected. Click here to fix the problem. I open a new window I get redirected. I then try to close the page and a message pops up. Am I sure I want to leave this page? Heck yea I do but I cant because of the dam little pop up wont close .
Anyhow I've tried Avast, Pc cillan house call, Hitman pro. All find the virus but only once. If I run another scan, no virus can be found.
Any ideas what I can use to get rid of this.
Cheers
John

Habbosrus

Back again
bbayjohn said:
Well my Pc has gotten a little sick.
If I click a link I get redirected. My computer is infected. Click here to fix the problem. I open a new window I get redirected. I then try to close the page and a message pops up. Am I sure I want to leave this page? Heck yea I do but I cant because of the dam little pop up wont close .
Anyhow I've tried Avast, Pc cillan house call, Hitman pro. All find the virus but only once. If I run another scan, no virus can be found.
Any ideas what I can use to get rid of this.
Cheers
John
Run scan in SAFE MODE? Delete from quarantine after scan if able to.
There are a number of tings to try, but it may take a few steps to get there.
Did any particular site cause it? Where are you being directed to?
Clues may help sort it.

bbayjohn

Senior elf
Not sure where it came from. I did leave my computer on while we ate dinner. The kids then had a look on ebay, gum tree etc. Site being directed to this afternoon.
frta.com
hotelscombined.com.au
reimageplus.com
sexmessenger.com
stuct.-nt-com.co
wscont.apps.microsoft.com

will try in safe mode.

Cheers
John

i13

Dedicated elf
PM sent. I wrote it entirely from memory as I've dealt with a computer that had the same problem. Hopefully I remembered correctly.

I didn't want to publish the solution on a forum that anyone view without an account in case someone writing viruses sees it. I am happy to send it to any active member of this forum.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I spent the latter half of fathers day cleaning my sons laptop after he had pretty much the same issue. Most of the problem was browser redirecting. I ended up turning on user account control to the highest setting so everything needed to be okayed before it would be installed. Safe mode and removing the close to 50 latest new programs to be installed fixed things and installing Adblock Plus (with all ads blocked rather than allowing some) in all browsers should hopefully prevent it happening again. Spybot Search and Destroy as well as Malware Bytes should really be ran over your pc.

penguineer

Full time elf
Does sound a bit like some of the "browser search assistant" problems I've dealt with.

These don't just come with nasties or bad sites or crook downloads - a good example is the Ask toolbar that gets installed with Adobe Acrobat(unless you pay attention and tell it not to).

Some of them get a bit sneaky and include a reinstaller that runs when the machine reboots......just in case you miss it.

Cheers!

cdjazman

Full time elf
I work as a computer tech on the road going to businesses and homes dealing with this every day as my job. One thing to remember is that these are probably not a virus but called Junkware. There is many terms for it. One of the main questions I get is that why did they get it when they have "Norton/Kaspersky/McAfee" installed. They cover viruses and not the rest. NO program gets everything.

Here is my process to run to remove the Junkware / Adware / Spyware etc...

Get onto the following website;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows/

Search and download the following programs and run them in the exact order. It is better to run them in safe mode (which can be accessed by pressing F8 key when the computer is booting up.)

** After you run ADWcleaner and click ok your system will automatically reboot. **

Rkill
Shortcut cleaner
JWT - Junkware Removal Tool
Adwcleaner

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Nice post cd. I did a series of scans on my lappy and there were a very few minor issues. Most were toolbar related with IE which I don't use due to it having fairly porous security.
You did have a typo in "Shortut cleaner". It should be "Shortcut cleaner"

Alan

cdjazman said:
I work as a computer tech on the road going to businesses and homes dealing with this every day as my job. One thing to remember is that these are probably not a virus but called Junkware. There is many terms for it. One of the main questions I get is that why did they get it when they have "Norton/Kaspersky/McAfee" installed. They cover viruses and not the rest. NO program gets everything.

Here is my process to run to remove the Junkware / Adware / Spyware etc...

Get onto the following website;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows/

Search and download the following programs and run them in the exact order. It is better to run them in safe mode (which can be accessed by pressing F8 key when the computer is booting up.)

** After you run ADWcleaner and click ok your system will automatically reboot. **

Rkill
Shortut cleaner
JWT - Junkware Removal Tool
Adwcleaner

bbayjohn

Senior elf
Thanks all. Just using my phone atm. Pc is stuck in safe mode with al pc services disabled. Will be back