My pixels have got moisture in them

JPB

Full time elf
I am using the Ray Wu WS2801 pixels on my spiral tree and they have started to play up and I can see moisture in some of them :( .
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-320389559/12mm-8mm-led-pixel-RGB-led-channel-lettet-waterproof-WS2801IC-256-level-gray-scale-DC5V-input.html

I was very careful and sealed the cable entry with liquid electrical tape and then mounted them vertically so the cable entry faced down. It looks like the moisture has seeped down around the LED and under the plastic case and causes havoc once the pixel warms up.

I was so happy with how the tree was looking. I looks like I will being buying some Stella-Greens from Andrew, just need to grovel to the minister of finance, wish me luck.

Jon

random

New elf
damn, that sucks! I did look at the front of the pixels and wonder how well it was sealed, as most of the mention has been about the back of them (cable entry).

I would certainly email Ray and let him know what's happened and see what he says.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Are they the new type ones that are sealed with a solid resin or the older ones which required self sealing. I have the newer ones and haven't had any issues with them. I haven't done anything to waterproof them and just added a cable tie at the base of each pixel for strain relief.

JPB

Full time elf
ѕυρєямαη said:
Are they the new type ones that are sealed with a solid resin or the older ones which required self sealing. I have the newer ones and haven't had any issues with them. I haven't done anything to waterproof them and just added a cable tie at the base of each pixel for strain relief.

They are the older ones. That is old as in August 2011.

Jon

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Ahrr ok. I can tell you that the new ones are good but there is differences in Quality compared to stellas.

whyrl

New elf
Depending on the failure, you might be able to save them!
If they work when they dry out, you'll be ok... but if they latch on, you're gonna do some soldering next summer!

We have yet to find a good way to waterproof any of this stuff, and we have tried!
We think that - depending on where you are - its the temperature swings that cause the problems over time.
Not so much the heat from the LEDS but more the day to night and possibly freezing temperatures with any water left in the small cracks of the waterproofing....

We have stella nodes from fall of 2010 and some of those failed as well. Thank goodness when they failed, the rest of the string kept working. But then again, we used 9,000 of them, so some failures are to be expected.

All the best.
Hopefully, you be able to salvage it....

W