My Soapbox - Phil and the future

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
Hi All -

After seeing some of the posts, comments, threads that are flying around I feel like I need to say a few things (like everyone else).

This is an open forum and people can say, ask, do as they like. That is freedom.

I, personally, find the repeated 'Where is Phil?' items a little off. I don't know where Phil is. I personally am concerned for him. I worry that something has happened. I love him as a brother and would hop on a plane to Australia if I felt that was what he needed.

This is Phil's forum. I'm sure sub-rosa that he is aware of some of what is going on.

I know that most of you need to KNOW the future of some of Phil's projects. I think that in the light of his absence we must assume nothing, including that, perhaps, nothing new will be coming out in a timely fashion.

Andrew and I (I hope he doesn't mind me using his name in this context) are running a business that includes some of the products that you know and love. But even businesses can go belly up and disappear over time (not that I think Andrew or I will go away any time soon).

Many times in the past individuals have started DIY products/projects that get to a certain point and then for no apparent reason the person drops off the face of the earth. Some are burn out, some just are like that, and some suffer a life changing event that pushes all other things off the table.

So make your plans on what you can see and touch. Even some of my new products should probably be taken with a grain of salt until you see them (but I expect you will).

I hope the best for Phil and hope to see him, at some level, rejoin the community when he is able. I don't expect that asking over and over again will be a help and may in fact be a hindrance.

-Ed

Edward D. Bryson
Joshua 1 Systems Inc.
Knoxville, Tennessee
USA

mrpackethead

Full time elf
Just echoing some of Eds Comments;

>"So make your plans on what you can see and touch. Even some of my new products should probably be taken with a grain of salt until you see them (but I expect you will)."

Yup, thats why i won't take orders for stuff that is'nt ready to sell yet. You can't buy vaporware, and even a PCB design is'nt a product.. Theres much more to it than that. Stuff takes time, code needs debugging and products need testing, not just for 5 minutes but often weeks or months, and minor mods made to get them just right.. Maybe eds got a way of getting a good idea into production without prototying and testing but i sure havn't.

>"Andrew and I (I hope he doesn't mind me using his name in this context) are running a business that includes some of the products that you know and love. But even businesses can go belly up and disappear over time (not that I think Andrew or I will go away any time soon)."

I certainly intend on being around for a good while yet.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I feel i have to say a few words myself about all this.

Phil has given so much of his time and effort to the community and the Australian community would not be what it is without the efforts of Phil. Last years agenda was a very tough and tiring agenda that Phil embarked on that would have left most of us burnt out long long ago. Phil deserves to have a good break from it all and he doesn't have to explain his motives even though it may have left many wondering.

One thing that a lot of people don't realize is that ACL didn't even exist this time last year and ACL has achieved a great deal in its time it has been running with the great vision of Phil with the help of some other members (Tabor must be mentioned here) in pushing this hobby to new levels which has benefited us all.

If the TP3244 or any other tiger controllers don't transpire then that's not a show stopper as there are other alternatives, I'm sure when Phil feels ready he will continue development, but as it is Phil is having a well deserved break. The fact that the forum server resides at his house shows that Phil is still in the background providing us all with a great forum for all that come here.

The other point i must touch on and I must admit that i myself have been guilty of this in the past is allowing the politics between other forums cloud the true motivations of why people like Phil do what they do, they don't do it because they want bragging rights, to make money or to be seen as special but they do it because they enjoy doing it and enjoy the social interactions of the community, when arguments and disagreements happen then this takes away the enjoyment and motivations and then the community suffers as a whole.

I myself have learnt a lot of things over the past 12 months and I thank Phil for providing a forum that has been innovative, creative and leading edge. I do miss Phil as when ever Phil came into the chat room he would light up everyone he talked to, that is the person Phil is. I do hope Phil is OK and I really hope he at least makes a reappearance for ACL's 1st birthday (26/04/11) because without Phil we wouldn't be here.

dmoore

Senior elf
While I very much thank those like - RJ, Jim St John, Phil and others for giving of their time and designs for others with no renumeration to themselves....I also have *no* problem paying others a reasonable price for their efforts and time. It keeps people motivated, makes the "work" feel less like work and it makes it easier for those to overlook the negative input from others (for those "paid" with positive feedback.)

I can see that with the huge time pressures at the end of 2010 that Phil and Tabor would be a little worn out with this. For that they should be commended (along with David Johnson and Ed.)

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Phil is one of the main reason's i started back into doing Christmas lights after 5yr's,
His idea's an friendly personality made ACL grow so fast.
I do believe allot of us behaved like kids saying give me, give me, give me (sadly i was one of them)
Phil has a strong an loving Family, an i hope all the very best for him.
If an When he returns i know i wont be a pesky brat like i once was,
Ive learned alot here at ACL, an grew up as a person thanks to him.
Personally i consider everyone here as close Friends.
As ACL grows older, Sadly so do I. An in return i try an give back all the help an support i can to help others, like everyone helped me along the way.

Thanks Phil, an Thank you ACL Community.
Alec