my thoughts

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
This is just my thoughts and opinions would never like too upset anyone . We have been doing xmas lights here for 15 too 20 years and it started with 1 single set of lights and basically due to my wifes love for celebrating xmas ! once again we been putting our display together ready for annual adelaide xmas pageant is start of Christmas season for us this year is nov 18th . But anyways as said my thoughts our display is different too others but we are all similar in one respect or another and would be boring if we where all the same . our display has always been xmas oriented and basically for the little ones and wife .I am starting to feel since having pixels etc(but dont misunderstand cant stop pixelizing things) is starting too become non xmas orientated and possibly we are just trying to please the adults with a theatrical show and quite often music that has nothing to do with xmas rather than the simple things that make the kids smile which im sure many of us feel is priceless . have many fond memories over the years of the little ones noticing the simple things .
So yes we are going to the xmas shed and dragging a few of the old simple static elements out for the kids !

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
You're not the only one who feels that way about some displays.

But... I'm still in awe of the effort some people put into them. :)

drakky

Senior elf
I'd have to agree , I'm not so sure why people do non Christmas songs , each to their own I suppose

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
it started with 1 single set of lights

Now where have I heard that before? xD

Some people choose to do a Christmas light display, other people choose to do a light display at Christmas... different approaches for different motivations and both are fine. Who is your audience (or who do you want to be your audience)? These kinds of questions influence the kinds of songs you mignt want to consider and even the sorts of elements you have in your display.

I choose to do a Christmas light display and that means most of my song choices are Christmas-themed. You won't hear top ten songs or hit movie soundtracks here (I publish my playlist on ryanschristmaslights.com). That is just my personal preference :). But there are exceptions, like for example Music Box Dancer isn't Christmassy. I have considered dropping it from the playlist for a couple of years now but I haven't because one group of people who visit the display every few nights told me one year it is their favourite song and takes them back to a childhood memory when they hear it.

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
You're not the only one who feels that way about some displays.

But... I'm still in awe of the effort some people put into them. :)

Ah yes as said no disrespect too anyone and myself am also very envious of the knowledge and talent of our other enthusiasts

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I regret the year I had Taylor Swifts "Shake It Off" as 1 of the songs I sequenced to. I love the song and it was popular but I stick to Christmas themed songs with a few instrumentals from TSO. I also do my best to keep the timing synched up to the music and if possible the effects relevant to the lyrics of songs. I'm adding more pixels again this year but still haven't gone to the point of a pixel mega tree or a pixel matrix (other than P10). I have lots of led fairy lights still in use and I'm using some old incand fairy lights to wrap around trees as the warm colour just can be duplicated with leds.

Bryan H

Bryan
Yep, I will not get rid off my moving models or add any computer control to them. . The elfs and the dears are a favorite for kids.. Only yesterday, did I have one of the kids from my neighborhood walk past and ask if I was doing lights again as visited almost every night last year...

Sometime we can lose sight of what it is about. The kids and the big kids in us. Setting up the displays are a family thing I do with my daughters.. they instruct, design and take the credit, but I do enjoy the time with them as they will be leaving home soon.... I have been doing lights since 98..

diyer

Full time elf
I totally agree, it becomes very boring if everyone does the exact same display. Our choice is a fully Christmas themed display including a nativity scene and Bethlehem star, as Drakky said, "each to there own"

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I generally do half and half Xmas songs/Modern songs. This year I am doing 15 songs, 10 of them are Xmas songs. I started this hobby I think right on the cusp of pixels and people having modern/pop songs so that's what I do :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The great thing about this hobby is there are no rules on how you do your display or what songs you choose, everyone creates their own unique Christmas lightshow based on many, many differing factors.
I personally prefer to see a Christmas theme using Christmas style music but I can also see why people choose non Christmas themes and songs because it is the festive season and everyone sees Christmas differently. The important thing is that you are creating a little bit of holiday magic in your part of the world regardless of the theme or music. used.
This is what helps make what we do so creative and unique

scamper

Dedicated elf
I also do about half / half.
I try and keep it to Christmas themed songs, but I feel that they need to be more relevant. I try and keep away from the "white xmas" type songs because I have never seen one and when it is 40 degrees it just doesn't make sense.
However, I do try and make the non xmas songs 'fit'
I've used songs from Disney movies or songs that just are happy and about holidays or lights. So generally no top 10 songs.
I may be adding a mix of popular songs this year, but it will sort of just be a bunch of songs with a good beat to liven the show up a bit.
After spending hours in shops listening to xmas carols every year, I think you need to be a bit picky on the songs otherwise people would go crazy.