Naming RGB Channels in LOR

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I am trying to set up my basic channel configuration so that it makes sense to me. I have some bigw strings hooked up to one of Alan's DC281130 controllers. I have a string set up in LOR that is 30 pixels long. I can name each pixel P1, P2 etc to show the position on the controller. What I would like to do is rename say the red channel of P1 to say roof top string so I know to turn that channel on when I want the roof top string.

At the moment it is called P1 (R) and it won't let me rename it. Can this be done or do I just have to remember which channel controls each string.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
If the channels are grouped as RGB elements then you can change the title of the rgb element and it will follow to the 3 channels. eg change the P1 to P2 would give you P2 (R), R2 (G) and P2 (B). Seeing as how you are using Big W strings and not specific RGB elements the 30 channels probably shouldn't be configured as 10 RGB groups but they still can be grouped together if you want to. Just select the 30 channels and "degroup" them and you can then call them whatever you want. The software doesn't care that you are kinda controlling pixels.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Alan. Thanks for the explanation and it makes perfect sense.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Now I was contemplating drawing up the animation so I can see what is happening on the screen. I just realised this would be time consuming as (from what I can see) each pixel needs to be drawn individually. Can the animation drawing be shared between sequences. I'm definitely not going to bother if I have to do it every time I do a new song.

Ɠαяєтн

Mae gen i C.L.A.P ei heintus iawn
If you use Tools - Channel Configuration you can rename the channels as you like, even changing the (R), (G) & (B).

With regards to the animation, after you have added all the controls/channels that you want, create your animation to suite, then export the channel configuration. This will also save your animation. So when you are ready to create your next sequence, start with a single channel and just import your channel configuration and you will have a complete setup.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Gareth. I was hoping the animation might export with the channel configuration.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
There's 2 ways of representing your display. You can either use the built in Animation feature (click on View, Animation) or you can use the Visualiser. The animation is directly linked to the sequence you are creating and the channels in that sequence. You have to manually add each pixel for a given channel as you draw it in. The visualiser can be used across all sequences, allows a lot more "props", has better resolution, allows props to be cut and pasted, imported, exported etc and the program can actually be linked to another pc across a network if required. The visualiser can either use channels manually added or you can import either a sequence or channel settings file to grab the channel list from that. For up to a few dozen channels the animation is fine, once you pass a few dozen you should look at using the visualiser. If you do use the animation then instead of redrawing it each time you should use a given sequence as a template and just change songs etc and save as a new name.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Alan. I knew there were two options for viewing. I found the animation but couldn't see the other. Will have to watch a tutorial on how to set up visualiser now.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Is there a short cut process for putting a matrix in visualiser or do I need to create a string for each line and then manually assign the channels in the normal channel list.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
So does that mean you've used it Alan, or did I happen to help someone. Might need a visit to the 1st thread ::) .