Need advice for first setup.

RolloverRussell

New elf
Hi Guys,

I’m new to ACL and new to Christmas lights in general. I’ve read the 101 manual and want to get a few things so I can get started having a play around. Just want to make sure I’m on the right track before I put the order through.

For starters I’m going to use std led strings then later on add in some pixel stuff once I’m confident with the wiring etc.

Using Xlights on PC with a Hansen Electrics open dmx dongle to connect to a Hansen Electrics DMX-2-18 controller (the few light that I have plus most of what I’ve seen in the shops are all 2 wire 31V strings) Also a 31V/350W SMPS from Ray Wu.

Is there anything else that I would need to get started?

Thanks

Russell

scamper

Dedicated elf
Keep an eye out for cable, 2 core speaker or twin flex lighting cable etc. and 4 core alarm cable. You will end up using a bit of it. Also look around for waterproof plugs and sockets, for power you can go to your local wrecker and get some old connectors from wiring looms, or look on ebay. Get yourself a decent soldering iron, you can get a cheap $40 solder station off ebay which will be better than a cheap jaycar one. solder, heatshrink, cable ties. I only mention these as they are some things you will need and it is when you are all set to build your props that you will realise you have to dodgy things up because you cannot contain yourself.
Otherwise, what you have listed should pretty much get you working.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.