Need help with a proposed setup

bob_moody

Apprentice elf
Okay .. cruddy subject line, but here is my request...
I currently have a J1Sys D2. love it, use it and will stay with J1 for pixels ..

2013 plans are:
Merry Christmas sign - 219 (26MM TM1804) pixels in a dot matrix type format. An upgrade to what I had and lost in 2012... http://www.aliexpress.com/item/26mm-diameter-TM1804-LED-pixel-module-3pcs-5050-RGB-SMD-LED-DC12V-input-IP68/597351990.html

8 CoroCanes - 128 (8 canes with 16 rectangular WS2811 pixels in each) pixels ( http://www.aliexpress.com/item/WS2811-IC-Pixel-RGB-Waterproof-5050-3LED-module-light-ideal-sign-box-lamp-100pcs-lot-free/697981926.html )

4 Arches - Using either Strip or maybe the rectangular pixel modules I show above. I would liek to use 2 strips w/ each strip making 2 arches (controlled in the middle?) ( http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/568458133.html )

My delima is how to drive this...
1. Can it all be driven from a single controller? P2 or P12? If I understand the arches correctly, the 2 strips would max out the P2 in 2 universes? n

2. Would 2 P2's be a better solution? One for the sign and the CoroCanes and one for the arches?

I am open to any and all suggestions..

I want to place an order with Ed, but I'm behind the curve on selecting the needed controller.

Thank you all,

Bob

vincerules

Full time elf
The ECG-P2 can run up to 8 universe, 4 off of each output port for a total of 1360 pixels.

If you wanted to, you could run all your stuff from 1 P2. I like having multiple controllers myself so that if something goes wrong, not everything goes out. But it's up to you.

neilric99

Full time elf
with some work from Ed this year, we should see the P2 daughter card becoming available which is tagged to contain 2 more output ports as well as some other really useful features.

Bird

LOR user
Another thought is element location. If these items are not going to be fairly close to each other, additional controllers located in different areas of the display may work out better.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Both the P12R and the P2 will run all of that, as bird has touched on it goes down to location, is it better for you to use 2 or 3 P2s or one P12R, the cost will be similar but with the P2 direction you get a more distributed layout with plenty of future expansion possabilaties. With the P12R its better for a centralized approach, so depending on the distnace the controller will be from your elements will determine if you need to use dummy pixels and added injection due to voltage drop if using the P12R. So layout will determine the best fit

bob_moody

Apprentice elf
Thank you everyone for the input.
I think 2 P2's will fit my immediate needs perfectly!

My rectangular pixels should be here monday. Guess I'd better get on the stick with Ed and get me a P2 here onsite.

Y'all are the best. Thanks again

Bob