3.x Need tips on setting up P12 in vixen 3

damo1271

Full time elf
I am setting up a up a J1Sys P12 in vixen 3. Currently I have added the P12 as one controller (E1.31 type) with 6120 outputs. This makes it a bit tricky when I want to patch an element to say universe 10 (output10).

Is it possible to set up the P12 as 12 separate E1.31 controllers, each with the same IP address, but having different universe numbers. That way I can patch just to the specific output (universe) of the P12.
eg the basic set up would be
P12 Uni1 = Universe 1 1 510 unicast 192.xxx.xxx.10
P12 Uni2 etc
P12 Uni12 = universe 12 1 510 unicast 192.xxx.xxx.10

I have tried a search on P12 set up in vixen3 on a few forums without any luck, is there a V3 controller setup guide that any can point me to?

damo1271

Full time elf
Re: Tips on setting up P12 in vixen 3

sorry, the post title should be NEED Tips on setting up p12. I dont have any to give yet :(

Ɠαяєтн

Mae gen i C.L.A.P ei heintus iawn
I have never used Vixen but believe the channel counts are sequential. So as you add universe in P12, the channel count just increments.

Have a look at these couple of links. They might help.

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=2232.msg33210#msg33210

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=4946.msg42801#msg42801

The P12 is designed via the web interface to associate what ever universe you want to the output, typical they are universes n to n+12. In the P12 you can also specify what the String Type, Speed, Universe , Start Slot and Pixel Count for each of the 12 outputs. The P12 should have a unique IP address on your network, then using multicast from vixen the correct data will be read from the output specified with that universe on the P12. Also in IP config ensure that the e1.31 and UBL are enabled.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
This is exactly how I use Vixen 3. I have numerous controllers. For example I have a P2 that is two outputs and each having 4 universes. I have created a total of 8 controllers for this one P2 in Vixen with the same IP and have just 1 universe per Vixen controller. Works great and is a lot easier to manage as you only have 510 channels per controller instead of thousands, not sure if this will slow things down though.

Cheers

damo1271

Full time elf
gnarmstr said:
This is exactly how I use Vixen 3. I have numerous controllers. For example I have a P2 that is two outputs and each having 4 universes. I have created a total of 8 controllers for this one P2 in Vixen with the same IP and have just 1 universe per Vixen controller. Works great and is a lot easier to manage as you only have 510 channels per controller instead of thousands, not sure if this will slow things down though.

Cheers

thanks it good to know this method is feasible. I would hate to get everything mapped and then find out it won't work or isnt supported.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Ensure you do check before mapping your entire display to ensure it works the way you want it. Just map the first couple of controllers to some strings for testing, only takes few seconds.