Nesting / Grouping Models

christish2006

New elf
Hi All,

Does anyone know whether you nest / group models in xlights, I mean I know that you can create model groups but can you link them so they move together etc.

My scenario is this I have a plastic model that I bought from Target, it has a star within a star as per below link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/giuu50f5gct5b76/20161106_204154.jpg?dl=0

I guess in Xlights that I need to draw two stars, but I would like to group them as one, so that when I move it or resize they scale together?

I hope that makes sense.

Has anyone come across this?

Cheers
Chris

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Draw the 2 stars, create a Group called stars under Layout, click on the group name then bottom left find the 2 props and move them into the group with the arrow.

I have 100's of props in groups, like most XL users :)

marmalade

cats & pixels
I think Chris is asking something I've also been trying to do.. when in layout its possible to move individual parts of a group and accidentally move them out of alignment with each other.

It would be nice to be able to lock them together so you can only move them as one.

i13

Dedicated elf
The custom model was the solution for me although I haven't updated for ages so it may have changed.

christish2006

New elf
Yeah what Marmalade said...

That way they are locked together when you move or scale them, and also if you duplicated them they woul dbe exactly the same.

I might try a custom model like i13 suggested and see how that goes.

Thanks

marmalade

cats & pixels
but you can't do layers (like in layered stars/wreaths) with custom models (?)

In any case, locking groups togther would be a nice feature. Nearly all vector and cad programs can do this as default.

i13

Dedicated elf
The custom model can have more than one dumb channel.

Gilrock

Full time elf
Not sure about resizing but you can definitely move a group of models in xLights. Just click the group name on the left which will highlight them all....then I believe its the shift key...hold it down and then drag your group around.

Not My Monkeys

New elf
Northern Virginia in a Washington DC suburb
Gilrock said:
Not sure about resizing but you can definitely move a group of models in xLights. Just click the group name on the left which will highlight them all....then I believe its the shift key...hold it down and then drag your group around.

Thanks for the pro tip! I've been trying to move things around as a group and having to do it one at at time!