Nesting Layout Groups within Groups

letsrollusafa11

New elf
I'm sure this answer is buried in some video somewhere, or is likely common knowledge, just not for me. Should you nest layout groups within other groups? For example, if I have a group labeled, "All Matrices" that has three matrices in it. Can I just add that group to a group labeled, "House All", or should I only have individual props in groups. Bottom line question, groups within groups, bad or good? Thanks.

Danielr

Lights On Botanical
Generous elf
You shouldn't put groups in groups as some effects are not going to render correctly

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Dangit. The fact that I'm asking should tell you, I'm having that exact problem.
This has some nuance as opposed to being "correctly" or "incorrectly". Sure, some effects + render modes will render an effect differently depending on whether the groups are nested or not... and you might even notice. More often than not the shallow group will give the result the sequencer intended, but there are exceptions, such as the "trees with stars" group, which is expected to be comprised of groups of one star and tree each.

On the other hand, deeply nested "All House" groups haven't been a problem for me. Usually the sequence will specify per model deep... while it's not a perfect solution I didn't feel like flattening ALL the groups, like house, yard, display, house without the matrix, display without the megatree and matrix, etc... to much of a pain.

letsrollusafa11

New elf
The problem I'm having is yes I want a matrix to be part of an "All" sequence import, and it (Matrix) is part of my "All" Group. But I want to remove it from the ALL effect for some of the sequence.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
The problem I'm having is yes I want a matrix to be part of an "All" sequence import, and it (Matrix) is part of my "All" Group. But I want to remove it from the ALL effect for some of the sequence.
Either make a second group without it, and put the effect on that group, or put an OFF effect on the matrix when required (presuming, of course, that the ALL group is before the matrix in the render order).