New 2014 video w/drone of God Bless the USA tribute

randallr

New elf
Our 2013 video strangely went viral about 3 weeks ago on Facebook. (andrewschristmas) We couldn't post a new one until our episode of ABC's "The Great Christmas Light Fight" aired earlier this week. This one was our first to try our DJI Phantom Vision+ drone, as well as a panasonic HC-x920 camcorder for most of the ground shots. Still had to use our old standby, Canon T4i for the closeup of the pixel grid at the end, as it's the only one that has an exposure lock setting that doesn't overexpose when it gets bright.

2014-GodBlessTheUSA 1 on Vimeo

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Awesome display and a lot of hard work put into that. It looks like a lot of strip used on the front lawn, buts its an amazing effect. Well done

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Nice Job, well done, how tall was the tree on the left ?

That is a lot of time, money and space there. I think I will just stay in the small leagues and remain insignificant :eek:

-Blu

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
What a great job by cant even imagine the hours in the set up .....a serious case of Terminal CLAP ....wow I though I had a problem... that is one serious mother of a tree....

randallr

New elf
Thanks! Had everyone in the family and some in-laws working several weeks prior to the show to get the ~38k RGB bulbs zip-tied!We used RGB node strings, ziptied each bulb and put in 3/4" white PVC. The tree also has 18/5 sprinkler wire going to the center of the sting (each has 2x100 strings @ 60' total)
Most of the new RGB is on 27ch dmx boards, with single channel amplifiers on each color, in line just before the string and heavier gauge wire for the 12vdc. Since we've always connected at the top, we built boxes to hold 32 350w power supplies just below.

We've had a few bulbs loose a color and have to be spliced, and a bunch of the amps blew up right off the bat. It's survived the usual 50mph wind storms pretty well. Nice not having all the incan's bumping into each other.

Bird

LOR user
Saw the Light Fight show, the ground based cameras did no justice to your display like the drone view does.
Fantastic display. Grats to you and all involved.

PS .. to those that say LOR can't handle a lot of channels ... please see above :D :D

Eastwood16G

Full time elf
That was a totally awesome display.

I find it difficult to appreciate the jingoistic sentiment as the USA sends its armies to give other countries American freedom whether they want it or not. No disrespect to individual servicemen. Those I know personally are a tribute to the USA, and good people.

R

Trafficman

Teach Me!!!
WOW Randall. I watched the show and knew you ran out of time to get everything installed. Hope you wife is feeling better now. Guess I need to make a trip out to see your show. Thanks again for getting me started in this hobby.
:D