New 2015 matrix build

Habbosrus

Back again
2015 will see my matrix double in height. 2014 version was 20 rows x 75 pixels (2.5 mtrs). This year will see 40 rows high which brings it to almost 1.5 mtrs high. Below is a pic of the frame in progress.
Frame is made of 42 x 19 pine. My wife painted it for me while I tidied the mess I made earlier. I think this is the first time she has helped with "our" Xmas light show :)
Progress photos will follow. Now I just have to come up with the money to buy the extra strip needed ;)

Progress
I used aviary wire to attach my led strip to my frame last year, so I simply removed the aviary wire, complete with led strip and placed it on new frame. New photo shows old wire/strips placed onto frame and new wire sitting on frame for sizing. I amazed myself this morning as everything seems to match within a mm or 2 :D

More progress
The matrix is all but complete. Just a little bit of tidying the cables at either end. I'm very happy with it and even more happy that my family were involved - awesome :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 96

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Great news on the converted "helper". Always great to have them around - and I note YOU cleaned up while she painted.
Oh and great frame building. Heads-up I have used small gang nail plates at the joints just for strength and security.

Habbosrus

Back again
nzlongfellow said:
Great news on the converted "helper". Always great to have them around - and I note YOU cleaned up while she painted.
Oh and great frame building. Heads-up I have used small gang nail plates at the joints just for strength and security.
I've got some of those plates. I'll add them to the frame tomorrow morning before going any further. Thanks for the tip.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Careful you don't damage the paint work when you add the gang nails, or it will "be on" :-[

mborg10

Michael Borg
What strip are you using for your matrix. I may have 8 x 10ic 5m with pigtails that I might be changing for this season and they would be for sale.

Habbosrus

Back again
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
What strip are you using for your matrix. I may have 8 x 10ic 5m with pigtails that I might be changing for this season and they would be for sale.
I'm using ws2812b 30/mtr strip. As it turns out, I already have enough strip to complete it. I ordered extra last year, just in case something went wrong. I then ordered some more strip for another project that didn't come to fruition. I completely forgot about the extra strip I already had. It was a pleasant surprise when I found it earlier today. Now all I need is a couple of power supplies (because I am only running them at 50%), a controller and I'm good to go :D .
The matrix build is complete. Both my sons got in and helped me attach the strip with 300+ cable ties this afternoon!!!

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
hi Michael if you are selling the stirps i would be interested

Boof63

Senior elf
Nice effort Habby, any chance of some video, love to see this working
Cheers Boof63 :D

Habbosrus

Back again
Boof63 said:
Nice effort Habby, any chance of some video, love to see this working
Cheers Boof63 :D
Hey Boof, as soon as I get another couple of power supplies and controller, I'll try to get some video. I was going to run 2 x e6804's, but I'm going to look at using a F16v2 to run the matrix and free up the e6804's for other things. Testing will probably take place with the e6804's, just so I can see it in action.

Boof63

Senior elf
Hi Habby ,any progress?? and are you running your show from Pi this year?
Cheers Boof63

Habbosrus

Back again
DanJ said:
Looks really great, Habbo!
Hey Dan, unfortunately I've been unable to do anything much since I built it. We moved house house 2 months ago and I've been laid up since. I have a F16v2 on the way and have purchased another 2 power supplies (4 in total just to be safe). I'll be housing the power supplies in a big tub with lid, extraction fan and inlet/exhaust vent. Ill house the F16v2 in an enclosure recently purchased from Jimbo, one of our ACL members (they're great enclosures, thanks Jimbo). The enclosure will sit atop the power supplies. All this will be housed inside, with short cable run to the matrix though a window. Hopefully it all works the way I have it planned in my head ::) . Last year the matrix looked good, this year, doubled in height, should give a whole new dimension I hope.

cdjazman

Full time elf
Habbo,

Wondering if you got the chance to do a video of the matrix?

Am looking for 2017 and your specs are the size i am thinking. Would love to see it in action.