New 32mm Centers RGB Matrix / Video panel design

neilric99

Full time elf
I have been looking at creating a RGB Matrix panel at 32mm centers which will allow for better resolution to play back video on this year display.

Here's where the current direction and thanks to AussiPhil it make sense to design this panel in a modular format using the 32/ M ws2801 strip with single pixel control

I am going to custom order from Ray the strip in 1M sections with plug/socket on each end.

For the frame for mounting this strip I will be mounting the 1M strip sections onto an 25mm aluminum channel that I can screw to a frame made of Aluminum 75mm square tubing. All of this this is going to be painted black.

To accommodate the best video aspect ratio of 16:9 or 4:3 resolution these frames will be 1M wide (32 pixels) by either 18 strips deep (16:9) or 24 strips deep (4:3), as long as the aspect ratio is adhered to then you can create a bigger panel as needed in 32 pixel wide multipliers by varying the depth, ie. a 2M wide panel would be 64 pixels wide by 36 deep or 48 deep.

It was also discussed with Phil on how to diffuse the light output and we could make a frame in front of the pixels at around 25mm away that would be made of either a white or grey lycra screen material.

I currently have the aluminum framing on order and pixel strips are being custom created by Ray and will be dispatched shortly.

This is going to be an ideal panel for the new upcoming ecg-p2 controller.

neilric99

Full time elf
unfortunately no I didnt build it, Now I see 14mm spacing on the pixel strip which I will be looking at for this next year, will seriolusly look at driving them with DVI though rather than DMX.