New Corflute Christmas Presents for 2017

fmt1962

New elf
These are my new additions to the 2017 display, some corflute Christmas presents.
Currently in 3 sizes, 250, 350 and 450mm boxes. Each has 30, 40 and 50 WS2811 Pixel LEDs inside respectively.
The boxes were cut out using an 80 watt laser cutter and each face was cut/engraved with a Christmas theme.

I expect they will be a real hit this year.

I suggest you change the video to HD so you can see the detail....

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Wow these look amazing well done! I was told you couldn't cut corflute with a laser (too hot or it melts, and fumes are quite harmfull) is that the case?
What size corflute are you using? Did you cut out the panels with the laser or manually by hand?

fmt1962

New elf
Yes I would of course be careful cutting corflute with heat, the fumes are toxic.
However I ensured that I used the laser cutter inside, with a good exhaust fan creating a good low pressure zone inside the cutter unit (fully enclosed), thus air from inside my shed is drawn into the cutter and no fumes come out into the shed. The exhaust is discharged outside away from neighbours.

It cuts very easily with a laser, no problems at all. So the panels were cut out using the laser (80watt, 60% power, 10mm/sec), the sides interlock and make the assembled boxes very solid. The corflute is just the stock 5mm one from Bunnings.

For engraving, this took some trial and error, many tests to find just the right power setting to totally cut the top layer and not cut the bottom layer. This then gives the clear image from the cuts on one face only, allowing much more light through. I also mixed in some small 'cut outs' for stars, twinkles etc in the images to give some really intense light sparkle points.

I found with my laser cutter, a setting of 18% power at 30mm/sec cut the top surface perfectly and not the bottom, it took some finding as 17% power did a poor cut, 15% just etched the surface but did not cut through the top layer.... but 20% power would blow right through both top and bottom.... So getting the settings right was important, there was not much room for error, so plenty of trial and error on some test pieces before production was required. However once I had the right settings, there was no problems at all.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Thanks for the info, very interesting! They look really good (you may be getting orders one day ;))

Boof63

Senior elf
Seriously any thoughts to taking orders. engraving on three sides would be sufficient.
I'd take 2 x sets (depending on price) but look a hell of lot better than my plain ones with some ribbon on them
Cheers Boof63

fmt1962

New elf
Hi all, glad you like them, I am really happy with them.

I was not planning on making any for others, but I would be very happy to help out and do a few for fellow clap addicts.... let me think on this a day or so and work out what I can do....

algerdes

Al Gerdes
I would ask yourself 3 questions:
1) Are all your props done, wired, and put out in the field?
2) Is all of your sequencing done?
3) Are you ready to run piece after piece for shipment?

Those look great! I know that you might just find yourself doing a lot of them. So many that you might find yourself unable to work on anything else.
I know that if I lived on the other side of the world, I'd be knocking on your door. I suspect many others would be to.

GOOD JOB!

fmt1962

New elf
Hi all....

Yes Al, you are right, I cannot afford to spend a lot of my time diverting to making boxes for everyone as I still have to get my display up for this year, like all of us with CLAP addiction.... :p

However I would love to be able to share my creations with a few and spread the joy... if I can find a little time, so to do a few for our fine mates in this great group would make me feel good, so many have helped me out in the past. So I will try and make some time, but just for a few, a very limited run.....

As I said before, I never intended to go into any sort of production and I do not have ready access to cheap local supplies, so sorry, just for a few 'mates' I will do the pricing on my local costs.... if I was really serious, I would source better supplies and prices... but for just a couple, it is what it is..... but postage is going to be the big killer (unless someone wants to arrange their own cheaper freight.... fine with me).

I have worked out the best size combo for minimal wastage of material and cost will be a set of 4 boxes...
1 x 400mm
1 x 300mm
2 x 200mm
This will cut out of 4 x 900mm x 600mm x 5mm Bunnings Corflute sheets I can get locally for $7.85/sheet.

This should pack into a postage box of around 42cm x 42cm x 14cm and 2.5kg. (you can use this info to estimate postage, I am located in Forster NSW 2428)

Whilst I do not want to make any real money out of this, I think it only fair to add something for my time as each set will take me around 3-4 hours, so I suggest say $30 for a set if that is OK, this will also cover packaging cost.

Obviously the boxes would be 'flat packed' and will require assembly (very easy), and add some lights of your choice, be-it pixels or a regular set from Big W etc.
I would put an design of your choice on all 4 sides of each box so you can turn them around every night.
If anyone is interested, then I will publish the list of images I have made so far to pick from.... AND I am happy to try and do a custom one if you want and if you can supply a vector art source image.

So the cost for a set of 4 delivered would be:
Materials (4 sheets corflute) $31.40
My cost and packaging $30.00
Postage:
Sydney $18.95
Melbourne $24.35
Brisbane $26.45
Adelaide $28.20
Perth $48.85
Hobart $39.05

So there you have it, I am very happy if no one wants to get any, as it would give me more time to finish my display. But if I have time, the offer is there as it would certainly make me happy if I could help out someone else.

Oh and if someone does have their own laser cutter, I am happy to share my designs.....

I hope everyone has a great display for Christmas, enjoy :)