New Display question

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Hi Pavle
What voltage did u use for your pixels and what is the max the Rpi28d pixels does it go up to
The rPi-28D+ can have different voltages for each of the 2 2811 outputs and they can be 5v,12v or 24V depending on what pixel voltage you're using. The number of pixels per output is 1600 at 20fps or 800 at 40fps.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
My mistake was looking for "24v pixels". The fact that they are all Carnival Ride Nodes takes it out of my use, but it is nice to know they are out there.

Thanks Alan

Allen

Reactions: AAH

xmaskids

New elf
How many pixels can be put of each Falcon F4v3 4 inputs looking at 10 lots of 50 pixels so say 250x2 on 2 inputs for roof and say 250x2 for tree on the other so 1000 in total
Is this board ok for this will look to 5v as cheaper I looking at 2 power packs one at each end of roof run which I think is 30m and 2 for the tree does this sound correct
Still a little hazy re all this but think I may have it all now
Down the track if I get an extension board card I add 250 of arch way lights or should I just buy the f16

TerryK

Retired Elf
Each F4v3 port will support 1024 pixel at 28fps. To get the faster fps the number of pixels per port needs to be 680 or less. The controller itself will support 12,288 pixels; 1 expansion board with 2 (4 port) receivers.

Unlike the F16v3, the F4v3 does not share pixels between the on-board ports and the receiver ports. It also only has a single power connector for the ports whereas the F16v3 has the V1 and V2 which allows one to have 8 ports at one voltage and the other 8 ports at another voltage. Both the F4 and F16 can be configured to power the controller externally.

xmaskids

New elf
Ok so 5v would work across the 4 outputs and Max of 500 per port
Does each port need to go to 1 section ie 1 to roof 500 1 to tree 500 and 1 to lawn is that what we are saying

TerryK

Retired Elf
The 500 pixels per port is well within what I indicated for the controller. The controller also will not care about the drive level other than where a drive level limitation may be set; in the controller or in the sequencing software. If you want to stay below the 680 pixel per port threshold for fps, then yes each pixel group of 500 would need to go to its own port.

i13

Dedicated elf
You're going to use power injection; 500 pixels per output wouldn't be possible without it. There isn't much of a reason to consider the number and voltage of the power inputs that the controller has. When you power the pixels with injection, they can be powered independently from the controller. For example, you can run:
  • 5V and 12V pixels end-to-end
  • 12V pixels on a controller that's powered with 5V or vice versa
https://auschristmaslighting.com/attachments/16394/

xmaskids

New elf
Cool was looking at having 1 at start of run and 1 at the end
How far from the falcon can we run cables before we start the run in wire to first set of 50 pixels

i13

Dedicated elf
I'm not really sure whether you're asking about the distance from the power supply to the Falcon or the distance from the Falcon to the first pixel. From a power perspective, it will depend on the thickness of the cables and the chosen maximum brightness of the pixels. It would be a good idea to keep the distance from the power supply to the Falcon short if you plan to power a large number of pixels through the Falcon. For the data, your mileage may vary. If the data doesn't make it, using coaxial cable and powering the pixels with injection instead of through the Falcon (because the power might not make it either) should solve it.