new guy

Dimmelus

New elf
I have been interested in doing a light show for years, so i think 2016 will be the year i start. I am planning on starting to getting what i need after the holiday season either in late winter or early spring. I think for the first year i am going to start off pretty small with ribbon outlining the house and maybe some singing Christmas trees if money and time allow. I also want to start a Halloween show, but i think that might wait another year or 2 so i don't get overwhelmed. I have a feeling you guys will hear a lot more from me as i try and figure everything out.

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
Welcome to ACL. All of us started at one time or another so don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you need. There are no dumb questions. Here is a good place to start http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting_101
Also here is a good chart on control boards http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/rgb_controllers/
Anyway, this should give you a start. Lots of free good sequencers but be ready for a learning curve. Starting now is a very good idea and keep it simple at first before you spend a ton of time and money to get started. Stop by chat and say hi, lots of friendly people there.
John

scamper

Dedicated elf
Yes, very good idea to start planning now. (it will take that long)
But mainly because you can look up where all the members are that are close to you and go and see what they have and talk about cost, how hard it is to build, how to build etc.
click on the link top right of this page "display locations" and see who is near you and make a point of visiting as many of these as you can. Everyone here would be more than happy to show you around and brag... oops I mean chat about their display :)

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Dimmelus

John already gave the best advise.
Can not emphasize enough the value of the new revised 2nd addition AusChristmasLighting 101 manual.
It is a great resource for all things RGB and more. :)

Dimmelus

New elf
thanks everyone, i have been looking at the AusChristmasLighting 101 manual. that manual is answering a lot of questions i could not find answers to on youtube and google searches.