New Guy

Pete67

New elf
Hey Guys,

So glad I stumbled upon this Forum!

I've been wanting to get into Computer Controlled Lighting for a few years now and was just looking around preparing for next year.

Was almost going to fork out for a LOR kit from the US until I found myself on this forum.

Glad to see so much innovation going on in this area!

Have been reading around the forum and it has got me excited to the point of wanting to get something simple going for this Christmas. (Think of it as a practice run.)

I have downloaded Xlights and loving it so far.

One key question for someone getting into it this late in the year...
Where in Australia can I source RGB Addressable Strips and controllers??

All the Overseas suppliers are great, but I doubt I would be able to get anything in time!

Look forward to reading/learning more and chatting with you all!

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi Pete, welcome to ACL!
Heaps of handy info in the forums, make sure to read (and probably re-read) the 101 manual and if you have any questions you want live feedback on, pop into the chat room at any time, usually gets busier in the evenings.

My personal feedback would be to perhaps sit back and formulate a plan for next year, rather than dive in and potentially buy the wrong things and waste money. That said, we usually source our lights, power suppliers and connectors from Chinese vendors. Controllers you have a bit more option as there are some local Aussie vendors (some of which are members here) which is great for support.

christish2006

New elf
Hi Pete,

Welcome, I myself was in the same position about a month ago. It is very late in the year to get started. You probably need to start with deciding on a controller and get that sorted, there are a few around. I purchased a Falcon F16v2 controller which you can get in Australia.

As djgra79 said, the lights themselves are sourced from China, and the preferred provider usually makes them to order. As an example he took around 8 days to get all of mine manufactured and then another 4 days to ship. So you are looking at minimum 3 weeks after you have decided what you want / need.

I would agree with djgra79's comments and start next year. i hear there maybe some new hardware around and This forum also hosts minis depending where you are, that you can attend and talk to forum members, get ideas and see howtos etc.

Hope this helps :)

Pete67

New elf
I'm tossing up between the Falcon F16V2-R and the Advatek Pixlite16 MK II. I have not seen the Falcon products available in Aus though apart from last years group buy on here?

Any talk about the new hardware on this forum? Would be good to keep up to date on this stuff!

In terms of Lights i think I will just end up buying from Ray as allot of you have suggested.

Thanks!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, you have a steep learning curve and little time to get it all together before December, but if your keen there is no harm in trying, just expect a lot of frustration and learning but the results are always worth it

Cheers