New here from Sunshine Coast Queensland

TerryK

Retired Elf
Do you recommend using 5V or 12V strings?

There is not an easy quick answer to this. It is a personal choice I think.

I have tested 12 Volt Regulated pixels and they are more immune to voltage drop than either 5 Volt or 12 Volt Resistor pixels (WS2811 strings). Keith in one of his videos indicated that the 5 Volt pixels are more immune to flickering/erratic pixel illumination for long length data line runs. While I have not played or tested long data line runs, I agree with Keith's explanation.

I use 12 Volt Regulated pixels. I do have some 12 Volt Resistor pixels but those will be replaced over time. I chose 12 Volt because I like WS2815 strips which are only available as 12 Volt and I did not want to have a mixed voltage display.

Katekate

Senior elf
Mega tree
I was going to do a 180deg 2.5-3m tall. How many strands would you recommend if you want to display images?

Mine is 24 strings of 50 with 2" spacing, and its not dense enough for complex images. I'm going to 32 strings for 2021

Star - what is the best star to buy on the market, I would like approx 5 strings through the star?
check out the options on https://www.extremelightingdisplays.com.au/

Pixel Strip - What is the best place to buy this from?

Any of the pixel dealers will have a good range. Just be careful when using strip, you need to mount it to something to support it, and make sure you have access to it to repair it if needed. Stick to bullets wherever you can.

Pixels - I was thinking 5v Bullet style would you recommend WB2811 or WB2812? Pixel spacing every 2inches?

All bullets and square pixels are WS2811

Power Injection - Would you power inject at the bottom of each strand? What power supply is required for running this type of tree?

My tree is 3 groups of 8 strings. I inject at the end and the middle.

Controller - Up in the air on what is required here? Im leaning to go with the F16V3 Pixel Controller - Ready to Run this has MeanWell 350W 12V or 5V Power Supply, CG-1500 Enclosure, Pigtails, 3-wire Power Cable, Cat5e Cable, Cat5e Coupler and Falcon Mounting Plate. Can this be mounted approx 5m away from the base of the tree?

You want your controllers as close as you can get.

If I got the F16V3 Pixel Controller - Ready to Run controller - would I need to get more controllers to run the roof outline, snowflakes, and jumping arches, or is this big enough to run the whole lot. If your running multiple controllers do you need specific types to talk to each other?

I run my whole show off 1 F16V3

Last edited:

TerryK

Retired Elf
This is going to be a long thread:cool:
Same chip different voltage

I'll keep it short. I promise!

What do you think the benefit of 2815 is over 2812 (5V) ?

I have not tested any WS2812s so my guesses are: a native voltage (12 VDC) and I think indirectly, power efficiency. Chinese specifications tend to be vague but specs indicate a WS2815 is a 12 volt device. A WS2812 is a 5 volt device and requires other components to operate from 12 volt; similar to a 5 volt or 12 volt WS2811. Keeping in mind the just mentioned vague datasheets, WS2815 test data points toward 'stacked' RGB LEDs similar to a GS8208.

bedingfeld

New elf
Mine is 24 strings of 50 with 2" spacing, and its not dense enough for complex images. I'm going to 32 strings for 2021

check out the options on https://www.extremelightingdisplays.com.au/

Any of the pixel dealers will have a good range. Just be careful when using strip, you need to mount it to something to support it, and make sure you have access to it to repair it if needed. Stick to bullets wherever you can.

All bullets and square pixels are WS2811

My tree is 3 groups of 8 strings. I inject at the end and the middle.

You want your controllers as close as you can get.

I run my whole show off 1 F16V3
Where is the best place to buy Falcon controllers in Australia?